Cloudy Pool

When you test your water again-- like tomorrow. As soon as you've finished the fc test, immediately do the cc part as well. This may help to explain why your water is cloudy. Post the results here. Also, you should lower your pH down to 7.2 using Muriatic acid. Use pool math to determine the correct dosage.

I took readings this evening as listed below. Note that I apply bleach in the mornings.

FC=5.0
CC=0.5 (or less)
pH=7.5

After performing the FC test, I proceeded to the CC test. After adding 5 drops of R-0003, the sample turned just slightly pink (10 mL water level). 1 drop turned it clear, so I presume CC level is less than 0.5.

After performing the FC test, I proceeded to the CC test. After adding 5 drops of R-0003, the sample turned just slightly pink (10 mL water level). 1 drop turned it clear, so I presume CC level is less than 0.5.

I believe if the sample turns pink you have to add R-0871 one drop at a time until clear. I have the TF-100 kit and I remember this. Maybe something is missed? Not sure, a newbie. The sample has to go completely clear.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/24188-Extended-Test-Kit-Directions

That's exactly correct! If I were you--and I WAS you, I'd do the test late afternoon after out of the direct sunlight. And running pump for 30 minutes. Then dose chlorine to get up to the target level. That should keep the full fc to do is job without losing any (hopefully :p ) to the sun.

From the TFTestkits instructions:

Chlorine Drop test - If you need to......1) measure Chlorine levels accurately or 2) higher than 5ppm or 3) test for Combined Chloramines…perform the Chlorine Drop Test. (FAS/DPD)
1. Rinse and fill the “Chlorine only” graduated cylinder to the 10mL mark
2. Add ONE heaping scoop of the R-870 powder and swirl to mix. (It may not all dissolve….don’t worry) The solution will turn pink. (unless you have no chlorine)
3. Next, carefully add R-871 solution one drop at a time. Count each drop and swirl until the solution turns back to clear. Multiply the number of drops you added times .5 (14 drops X .5 = 7ppm)
4. Record your results as FC (free chlorine)
5. To test for Combined Chloramines, add 5 drops of R-0003 to the solution and swirl. If it remains clear, you have no CC’s. If it returns back to pink, add R-0871 as before, counting and swirling between each drop. Once the solution returns clear, multiply the added drops times .5 again…..this will be your CC reading. Record it. The total of FC and CC should be recorded as TC (total chlorine)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.