Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hints of Algae...do I go to a full SLAM assault?

1. Back To Top    #1

Hints of Algae...do I go to a full SLAM assault?

Good morning forum,
    Checked on our IG SWG pool this morning and I saw just a touch of algae on the ladder. Chems have been consistent and I will post below. The CYA dropped to 55ppm with the recent rain but I have adjusted for that over the last few days and I am sure it will be climbing as it's digested. Water is still clear, not cloudy. So my question is, should I worry about a little algae on the ladder or should I launch a full SLAM assault or is the answer in between somewhere? Thank, you folks.

Current chem levels are in my vinyl, SWG pool...

FC 6.6
    CC - 0
    PH - 7.8
    TA - 90
    CYA - 55, just added recommended levels to get it somewhere around 70-75ppm but it takes a few days to show I think.
    CH - is low around 70 I think but I rarely check it because of the vinyl and I read it here it doesnt have much impact on vinyl liner pools.
    17x27x37 (24000 gallons) Lagoon Vinyl liner, Hayward Eco VS Pump, Hayward 4350 DE Filter, Auto Pilot SWG, Savi LED Lighting, Maytronics Dolphin M4 Vacuum

2. Back To Top    #2

If you have visible algae you need to SLAM. You want to kill everything off so to do that you need to SLAM.
    It should go quickly. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Hints of Algae...do I go to a full SLAM assault?

Visible algae....SLAM. It's likely to be a short one for you if you follow the process to the letter. Better to catch it now than to take the chance of the whole pool being green, right?
    27' AG 18K Gallons ~ Cartridge Filter ~ Pentair 1.5 HP Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you and I tend to agree but what if I'm already passing all the criteria in the OCLT?
    17x27x37 (24000 gallons) Lagoon Vinyl liner, Hayward Eco VS Pump, Hayward 4350 DE Filter, Auto Pilot SWG, Savi LED Lighting, Maytronics Dolphin M4 Vacuum

5. Back To Top    #5

Doesn't matter. Visible algae equals a SLAM.
    Get it now before it gets out of hand. It should go quick.
    It's what I would do. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm on it. Jugs of bleach away. Thank you.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by mkmscr View Post
    I'm on it. Jugs of bleach away. Thank you.
    Good job ! It'll be like a mini SLAM 😎
    Jeff

8. Back To Top    #8

Just curious- how did you make out? I'm going to a pool party today at a friend's house who went through the same exact thing. Not sure if I should let my kids swim in the pool. Hopefully they won't be offended when I show up with my test kit.
    24' Round Above Ground w/ Vinyl Liner 14,996 Gallons
    Hayward Extreme Cartridge Filter w/1.5hp pump
    Hayward In-Line Chlorinator- Puck Fed
    Hayward Skimmer
    Taylor K2006 DPD-FAS Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Also, if the algae is only a little bit and always in the same spots, then consider improving the circulation in the area.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"