Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Slightly Cloudy Water

1. Back To Top    #1

Slightly Cloudy Water

When we returned from vacation, pool was being "watched" by my son-in-law, the water was slightly cloudy and the pump had died. Quickly ordered and installed a new pump and started to chlorinate to shock levels with bleach. It was somewhat difficult to get it clear so I started adding D.E. to the sand filter and backwashing every couple of hours. After a couple of days it started to get slightly cloudy once more. The pool was much more cloudy this morning, having 12 small children in the pool yesterday and a major thunder storm last night.

PH 7.5
    FC 7.0
    CC 0.5
    CH 125
    TA 90

Pumps runs 6-12 hours a day depending on the conditions.

Thanks

Jim Potter
    Hayward Power Flo LX pump and Vari-Flo sand filter. 18' X 52" agp. 8000 gals. Takoma Park, MD

2. Back To Top    #2

Slightly Cloudy Water

I don't see a CYA level. What is it so we can see if your FC is in range for it. How are you chlorinating your pool and what test kit are you using ?
    Most of the time cloudy water is a water chemistry problem. Low FC levels for your CYA level is one. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Slightly Cloudy Water

CYA is 40 and I use bleach.

Jim Potter
    Hayward Power Flo LX pump and Vari-Flo sand filter. 18' X 52" agp. 8000 gals. Takoma Park, MD

4. Back To Top    #4

Maybe more important than your cya level is what test kit are you using to measure it?
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm using the TF 100 purchased new this spring.

6. Back To Top    #6

Slightly Cloudy Water

With all the kids in the pool doing who knows what your FC may have dropped below the min.
    Keep your FC levels up and see what happens in a day or two.
    Your FC level is good now. I would always target 7 and never below 3. When you know your going to have a bunch of swimmers over its good practice to bump your FC levels up above the target slightly before and after the party. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by takpak65 View Post
    I'm using the TF 100 purchased new this spring.
    Perfect!!!
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Just a follow-up about calcium hardness in my vinyl agp.

The following is what the site pool calculator recommended.

Add 175 oz by weight or 136 oz by volume of calcium chloride

Does this sound right?

Jim Potter

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by takpak65 View Post
    Just a follow-up about calcium hardness in my vinyl agp.

The following is what the site pool calculator recommended.

Add 175 oz by weight or 136 oz by volume of calcium chloride

Does this sound right?

Jim Potter
    Why would you want to increase calcium hardness? In the original post you report CH 125, which is fine for a vinyl pool. PoolMath suggests a range of 50 to 300, and you're right in there already.
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

10. Back To Top    #10

If you have to backflush often, there's no need to add DE. Add the DE once everything is stabilized.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!