Help needed with old pool but new to us

Micwtx

Aug 31, 2014
Haskell, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
We bought a house a month ago with a plaster swimming pool build in 1986. It was majorly green and even with all we did we could not get it clear so we drained it and pressure washed it. Refilled it with well water (in a drought area and cannot use city water). Only have "Freshwater by Hot Springs" 5 way test strips. Readings are: Tbr - 0, FC - 0, Alk - 240, ph - 8.4, Hard - 450.
We added 4 gallons of bleach to the water as we were filling the pool but nothing since then. I have read several posts on this site about chemicals and know that location and test results can change for each person.
We are also unsure as to what order we add the chemicals. I know I read that you often have to wait 24 hours between adding chemicals and so I want to get it right the first time. Kids are ready to SWIM!
Thanks in advance.

Micwtx,

Welcome! :wave:

If you've done any research on this site, you will know that you need a good test kit. It's the basis of good pool care and an investment for you!

:lookhere: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/124-pool-test-kits-comparison

Look at the link and decide which option you would like and order straight away. I suggest the TF-100 with XL option as it is the best bang for your $$$. You can't find this kit in stores so order online today and you should have it pretty quickly.

Colormetric testing is ok for pH and FC up to 5. With your pH of > 8, I would get some MA to lower it.

You can use PoolMath to enter all your pool specifics and find out how much you need. I would do it in steps tho so you don't overshoot and end up with a bottomed out pH.

:lookhere: http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

While you're doing that, it's really helpful if you provide a signature line with your pool and equipment information. You can update that signature here:

:lookhere: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/115-read-before-you-post

With a fresh fill, it's pretty safe to say that you need chlorine and CYA. So you're gonna need to study up on the ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and a whole host of other things in Pool School. It's a lot to take in at once but read and read again. It begins to make sense pretty fast. There are many links in pool school. Follow them all and arm yourself with the knowledge of how to take control of your own pool.

:lookhere: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/

With Texas sun, you are gonna need to protect that chlorine with some CYA. But first you need to understand the relationship between the two.

:lookhere: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

So go forth and educate yourself with this vast wealth of information provided by TFP! As you have questions, post them back to this thread as there are many helpful folks to give advice. When you get your kit, run a set of numbers and put them up here.

Happy TFPing!

I have my equipment in my signature as I know it now but will update when I get more info.
I have read the ABC's page but it does not tell me the ORDER in which to add the chemicals but does a great job on telling me what will change the levels. Will get a test kit ordered asap. Thanks!

The actual order will somewhat depend on your test results. But for the information you have provided, I would do the following.

1. adjust the ph with acid

2. at the same time, add some CYA via a sock in front of a return to get to maybe 30 then retest (in about a week) after you get your kit

3. at the same time, use pool math to calculate how much liquid chlorine to get you to the appropriate level for your pool size. Assume the CYA 30 after you add it even tho it won't show up for about a week.

- - - Updated - - -

With the plaster surface, you will be concerned about CH and TA but that can be dealt with after you get some reliable results.

The actual order will somewhat depend on your test results. But for the information you have provided, I would do the following.

1. adjust the ph with acid - This is Muratic Acid or Dry Acid

2. at the same time, add some CYA via a sock in front of a return to get to maybe 30 then retest (in about a week) after you get your kit - Cyanuric Acid

3. at the same time, use pool math to calculate how much liquid chlorine to get you to the appropriate level for your pool size. Assume the CYA 30 after you add it even tho it won't show up for about a week.

- - - Updated - - -

With the plaster surface, you will be concerned about CH and TA but that can be dealt with after you get some reliable results.

You will want to get a lot of bleach. And I mean a lot of bleach. I went through I think 40 gallons of bleach and chlorine when I did my slam. If you can find chlorine this time of year you could get it as it has high chlorine levels than bleach. However, bleach is easier to find and sometimes cheaper. If you have a SAM's membership you can buy them 3 gallons for $9

If you have questions ask

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.