cold region pool/spa combo

spool

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 12, 2014
New England - MA
Hello all, we have been contemplating an in-ground pool for quite some time and are almost ready to commit. Our desire was to have a 20x40 gunite pool with elevated spa. It would be nice to use the spa in the winter months as there are way too many freezing cold months in New England. Typically in these parts pool owners winterize and cover up both pools and spas. I feel replacing the elevated spa with a hot tub will reduce the appearance of the design, a hot tub is a bit of an eye soar. I'm curious what pool owners in cold climates have done. Is it feasible to run the elevated spa year round? I imagine that would be more costly than a stand alone hot tub. I scoured the internet all day and found very few images incorporating the two in an aesthetically pleasing manner:

modern-pool.jpg

I live in the Chicago area and close the pool end of September. We keep our hot tub open until early December. The problem is you have to run all your pumps and blower when the temp falls below freezing to keep the pipes from freezing. I would be a little nervous when the temps around here get sub zero. If somehow you can locate all your above ground plumbing and pumps in a heated enclosure it may be managable.

If you are installing a hot tub, I think the key to maintaining a nice appearance is to sink it down nearly flush with a deck. The only trick is ensuring that the side with pumps and control pack are accessible when something breaks. Access to the internals will eventually be necessary.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.