Got 2 quotes for pools already. Questions on which materials are used to I can verify

Aug 27, 2014
Zapata Texas
Hello and once again I have a few questions to ask. The reason behind questions is to verify the proper materials are being used due to large margin in price between both Gunite pools. Lets go with the quotes and they all include the same amount of lights, returns and equipment is almost identical. I did list some options but don't plan on any of them at the moment.

Both pool builders are from neighboring city.

PB#1 Includes Hotel, transportation, delivery cost, and what not into total.

Gunite
400 SF 14' x 28' Pool $30,000
500 SF 16' x 32' Pool $34,000
Options Extra
SPA $6500
Slide Fiber Glass $2500
InFloor PCC2000 $3000
Heater $3000

Gunite
PB#2
450 SF 15' x 30' Pool $19,000 Flat Price no extra charges.
Option Extra
Gunite Slide with Water Fall $8500

FiberGlass IGO Pool
PB#3
380 SF 27' x 14' x 4' Pool $20,000
I don't want FiberGlass but got a quote on it to.

So my questions would be on materials and hopefully you guys can answer them.

Q1. What kind of thin set is used on Water Tiles and pool floor mosaics

Q2. MY pool is going to be Salt Water, What sealer for my Flagstone or rock work?

Q3. Does white pool plaster come in mixed bags or is combined from White Cement and Marblelite.

Q4. If a form is used on any part of pool does it require chipping or bond coating before placing Plaster over it. Example Bar Stools formed out of plastic or cardboard tubes.

I want to be more knowledgeable and be able to verify he knows what he is doing and hopefully he don't get upset if I ask him. I know he is a Pool Builder but he is like $11000 to $15000 cheaper then other guy. I tried searching on BBB but his business is not registered. What other things can I look for.

If there is a thread around here please lead me in that direction.

Hi Jorge,
I'd be uncomfortable with a lowball builder with no BBB registration. Can you go and see some of the other pools he's built? He should be willing to give you some contact info for references.

1. typically any good quality latex-modified thinset
2. dunno, sorry!
3. it will probably come premixed, most seem to
4. they'll remove the tube before plastering

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.