Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tunnels

1. Back To Top    #1

Tunnels

When I took my pool down for the season, I found a squirrel had dug a tunnel under the pool (and pad) and was stashing winter supplies. What does everyone else do to prevent this?
    Ultra 16', Intex Sand filter/pump combo, 8' x 20' solar panels, solar blanket w/roll tube, 1" extruded foam floor with Gorilla pad, Liquid chlorine and stabilizer.

2. Back To Top    #2

Tunnels

.22 or rat trap. We have ground squirrels and they are destructive little guys.

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Tunnels

Prevent before hand is what I am looking for, I already caught them, just looking for way to prevent....
    Ultra 16', Intex Sand filter/pump combo, 8' x 20' solar panels, solar blanket w/roll tube, 1" extruded foam floor with Gorilla pad, Liquid chlorine and stabilizer.

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm following this thread.
    I too have lots of squirrels digging in the yard.

Toronto Ontario Canada

5. Back To Top    #5

Tunnels

Are you sure they are squirrels ? Squirrels usually nest in trees.
    You could have moles. They tunnel. Could be chipmunks too.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

I know it was not a mole, but could have been a chipmunk. I trapped a small squirrel last week, and no sign of activity in the hole since so I assumed it was the squirrel. There was sunflower seeds from our bird feeder being hoarded in the tunnel when I dug it up yesterday.

7. Back To Top    #7

Moles eat earthworms and grub worms, voles are like underground mice and they eat seeds, fruit, and roots, gophers are slightly larger and eat seeds, fruit, and roots. Check with your Agricultural extension service to see what burrowing critters you have there. Various sorts of various sizes. Even some rats can tunnel.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

8. Back To Top    #8

Got them too...moles, voles and chipmunks. A few divets under the pool liner now after 3 years of it being installed. Hate. Them.
    13,900gal 24'x52" Backyard Leisure Heritage AGP
    20ml All Swirl Flat Liner
    Pentair 1.5hp Pump and 150# Sand Filter System
    Smart Step Ladder w/Smart Light
    TF100 test kit, BBB Baby!

9. Back To Top    #9

Get a dog.

I no longer have chipmunks tunneling under the slab of our house since my backyard has started to be patrolled by the dog.

Aside from the dog, if there is a hole I want to discourage them from using, i put concrete / mortar / thinset / grout whatever I have laying around down it. Fill that thing a good 18". It seems to discourage them from re-digging in the same spot.

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo