Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: If I needed to raise chlorine in a SWG pool....

1. Back To Top    #1

If I needed to raise chlorine in a SWG pool....

This is largely a theoretical questions, but....

If for some reason I needed to raise pH in my pool, which is salt...

Do I put the salt cell on a superchlor mode or do I add bleach? Can you add bleach to a SWG pool?
    Central TX / 12K GAL / IG / SWG / DE filter / Pentair SVRS & 3 swim jet pumps / Spa bench and jets / Single body of water / No heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: If I needed to raise chlorine in a SWG pool....

Yes, you can add bleach if you have a SWG to raise the FC quickly if needed.
    12' Intex Metal Frame Pool, 1500 gallons, Intex 2800gph Sand filter/pump, AquaPro PRO1100 HP, K-2006 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

+1^^^ No problem with using bleach in a SWG pool if need be. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

And to raise your ph, baking soda will work. Or just let the cell run and it will drift upward. Did you over do the MA, in theory, of course.

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

5. Back To Top    #5

Just a slight correction. Baking soda raises TA. Washing soda or borax raises PH. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

I don't know what MA is, but no I haven't overdone anything.... It truly was a theoretical question.

- - - Updated - - -

Is washing soda something sold in a grocery store? I don't think I've ever heard of it.
    Central TX / 12K GAL / IG / SWG / DE filter / Pentair SVRS & 3 swim jet pumps / Spa bench and jets / Single body of water / No heater.

7. Back To Top    #7

MA is muriatic acid. You use this to lower PH.
    Yes you can get washing soda in most grocery stores along with borax which is the same thing.
    Jeff

8. Back To Top    #8

A SWG pool is a chlorine pool. So, as mentioned, no problem adding bleach.

From Pool School, Recommended Chemicals:

Raising PH

PH can be raised in three ways: borax, soda ash, and aeration. Borax is usually the best choice. Borax raises the PH and also raises the TA level just a little. If your TA level is low soda ash will raise both the PH and TA levels. If your TA level is high, aeration is best as it will not raise the TA level at all. However, aeration is rather slow compared to the other two.

Borax is available as 20 Mule TeamŪ Borax Natural Laundry Booster. It is sold in the laundry detergent section of most larger grocery stores and some big box stores. Borax is best added by pre-dissolving it in a bucket of water and then pouring that slowly in front of a return.

Soda ash is available as ARM & HAMMERŪ Super Washing Soda Detergent Booster. Do not confuse this with ARM & HAMMERŪ laundry detergent! It is sold in the laundry detergent section of most larger grocery stores and some big box stores. It is also sold by pool stores under various names, including PH Increaser, PH Up, Balance Pak 200, etc. Soda ash is best added by pre-dissolving it in a bucket of water and then pouring that slowly in front of a return.

Aeration can be provided by a SWG, spa jets, waterfall, fountain, return pointed up so it breaks the surface, air compressor, kids splashing, rain, etc. It can take some time for aeration to raise the PH. The higher your TA level, the faster aeration will work.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Is washing soda something sold in a grocery store? I don't think I've ever heard of it.
    Washing soda and soda ash are the same thing in that they not only raise pH, but also raise TA. We recommend Borax to raise pH because it has little effect on the TA.

20 Mule Team Borax.jpg
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by pwrstrk View Post
    MA is muriatic acid. You use this to lower PH.
    Yes you can get washing soda in most grocery stores along with borax which is the same thing.
    Ah... Thank you. I was thinking abbreviations for what's measured out of the test kits and didn't clue in to MA being Muriatic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    Washing soda and soda ash are the same thing in that they not only raise pH, but also raise TA. We recommend Borax to raise pH because it has little effect on the TA.

20 Mule Team Borax.jpg
    Thanks. That picture and your previous post explained a lot.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by pwrstrk View Post
    ...you can get washing soda in most grocery stores along with borax which is the same thing.
    Yes, washing soda and borax are generally found close to each other in the laundry aisle. However, chemically they are not identical, and they do have somewhat different effects on pool chemistry (as illustrated in PoolMath).
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

12. Back To Top    #12

Yes my mistake sorry !! I misspoke. 😎
    Jeff

13. Back To Top    #13

I just add bleach when I need my FC to go up. I find that my SWG maintains the FC, but doesn't really increase it. As far as Superchlorinate on the SWG, I don't use it because I'd rather not put any excess stress on my cell. Also, with Superchlorinate, you don't really know how much of an increase of FC you would get. If you add bleach, you can use this forum's Pool Math, and get to the level you want, and much more quickly than the Superchlorinate mode of the SWG.
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

14. Back To Top    #14

those are good points mickey4paws... thanks.

15. Back To Top    #15

MA = Muriatic Acid = Hydrochloric Acid

Washing Soda = Sodium Carbonate

Baking Soda = Sodium Bicarbonate

Borax = Sodium Tetraborate

BA = Boric Acid (I like using this better than borax for borate additions)

One word of caution - be careful with washing soda and ALWAYS check ingredients as I have noticed some formulations like to call themselves washing soda and use sodium peroxycarbonate (OxiClean is the example of this). Peroxycarbonate's will add peroxide to your pool which will react with the FC in your pool and turn it into chlorine gas.