How do I fix the leak on my pump intake?

expo

Aug 30, 2014
Boca Raton, FL
New pool owner here. My pump has a leak at the place the pvc screws into the pump. All the pvc is glued in place.

How do I fix this? Do I disassemble the impeller from the pump and unscrew? Or do I have to replumb the whole thing?

Thanks for the help.

uploadfromtaptalk1409528373844.jpg

Welcome to TFP!

You need to replumb, and use unions so you can disassemble things to work on it later. Unfortunately they didn't leave you much pipe to work with. It may take some digging.

Is it leaking on the suction or discharge side? If it's just the discharge side, and there's enough pipe above it, you can just cut it and put your union there and not have to dig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would try a simpler fix first. Since it is on the suction side of the pump, you could just try a little pool lube around the fitting threads. The suction will draw it in and sometimes it is enough to seal the gap.

But with that style of pump, you can unbolt the pump basket from the pump and it should unscrew from the pipe so you might not need to cut any of the plumbing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.