Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How do I fix the leak on my pump intake?

1. Back To Top    #1

How do I fix the leak on my pump intake?

New pool owner here. My pump has a leak at the place the pvc screws into the pump. All the pvc is glued in place.

How do I fix this? Do I disassemble the impeller from the pump and unscrew? Or do I have to replumb the whole thing?

Thanks for the help.

uploadfromtaptalk1409528373844.jpg
    18,000 - IG - Vinyl lined less than a year - 1.5hp Hayward pump - Hayward AQR15 AquaRite Salt Chlorination System - Taylor K2006 Test Kit - Kreepy Krawly Great While keeping the bottom clean

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How do I fix the leak on my pump intake?

Welcome to TFP!

You need to replumb, and use unions so you can disassemble things to work on it later. Unfortunately they didn't leave you much pipe to work with. It may take some digging.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

That's kind of what I figured. Oh well.

Do you use plumbers tape on the threads?
    18,000 - IG - Vinyl lined less than a year - 1.5hp Hayward pump - Hayward AQR15 AquaRite Salt Chlorination System - Taylor K2006 Test Kit - Kreepy Krawly Great While keeping the bottom clean

4. Back To Top    #4

If this alleviates my problems a little digging will be well worth it.

Do I just use plumbers tape on the threads?

5. Back To Top    #5

Plumbers tape or TFPE pipe joint compound.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

Is it leaking on the suction or discharge side? If it's just the discharge side, and there's enough pipe above it, you can just cut it and put your union there and not have to dig.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

I would try a simpler fix first. Since it is on the suction side of the pump, you could just try a little pool lube around the fitting threads. The suction will draw it in and sometimes it is enough to seal the gap.

But with that style of pump, you can unbolt the pump basket from the pump and it should unscrew from the pipe so you might not need to cut any of the plumbing.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

8. Back To Top    #8

I really didn't want to dismantle the pump so I went ahead and redid the plumbing. I am happy to say that we now have suction and the pool is filtering.

8uploadfromtaptalk1409613895029.jpg