Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hatward H400 heater troubleshooting

1. Back To Top    #1

Hatward H400 heater troubleshooting

My pool heater stopped working and I was wondering if someone out there could guide me through the troubleshooting method for diagnosing an "LO" error.

The heater is being controlled remotely. My outdoor control panel is very old, so I'm wondering if I should put the heater in standalone and take the controller out of the equation but I do not know how to accomplish this.
    16,000 gallon, IG, plaster, filter= DE 60 sq ft, Pump= Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP variable speed, Build date= 2004, SPA, Heater= Pentair natural gas 400k BTU, Cleaner= Hayward Navigator (Pool equipment installed 2 feet above pool water level)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hatward H400 heater troubleshooting

The LO message means that it isn't detecting any water flow. Mine does this when the pump isn't running. If your pump is running and water is flowing, I would bet that it is the flow sensor.
    16' wide ~20,000gal IG vinyl lazy L shape pool circa 2002, 1hp Hayward Super Pump, Hayward S244T sand filter, Hayward H250ED2 gas heater, Hayward eVac Pro robot, Stenner pump for chlorine, TF-100 test kit
    2008 Gulf Coast 864 LEi hot tub

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Hatward H400 heater troubleshooting

I will check that out. I have a volt tester that I use for checking battery loads (kids go through batteries like crazy)...Can someone throw me a bone and tell me where to set the meter for testing across the in-line switches......?
    16,000 gallon, IG, plaster, filter= DE 60 sq ft, Pump= Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP variable speed, Build date= 2004, SPA, Heater= Pentair natural gas 400k BTU, Cleaner= Hayward Navigator (Pool equipment installed 2 feet above pool water level)