Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How long after a rainstorm do you wait to retest the water?

1. Back To Top    #1

How long after a rainstorm do you wait to retest the water?

So we just had a monsoon here for about 30+ minutes then about 15 minutes of normal rain. I'm sure the chemistry is messed up now, and actually kind of really curious to see the effect.

How long do I wait after the storm is over to test to make sure that everything is ’mixed' and I'd be getting true results?
    Central TX / 12K GAL / IG / SWG / DE filter / Pentair SVRS & 3 swim jet pumps / Spa bench and jets / Single body of water / No heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: How long after a rainstorm do you wait to retest the water?

Usually they recommend 30 minutes. In the grand scheme of things, one inch of water isn't too much difference in a large pool. Think of it if you drained out an inch or two, it would change things that much. For me, not being able to get out there and keep things balanced and having the pump not running for more than a day or two is what sets me back.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Let your pump run a good 30-40 min's before testing anytime !
    Rain usually has very little effect on your waters chemistry. To get things really out of whack you would need A LOT of rain fall. If you get runoff into the pool that'll get things messed up. Otherwise you should be fine. Won't hurt to check if it'll put your mind at ease. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you. I currently have my pump running 12 hours a day. It's variable speed, so the electrical cost isn't too bad.

I will test in a little bit and see what the difference is from yesterday. Neat experiment.
    Central TX / 12K GAL / IG / SWG / DE filter / Pentair SVRS & 3 swim jet pumps / Spa bench and jets / Single body of water / No heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

So not as much of an effect as I envisioned, but PAgirl has a real good point about the amount of water actually coming in.

pH rose to 7.6 from 7.4
    CH dropped from 300 to 290
    TA stayed at 80
    CYA stayed at 50
    FC/TC unaffected at '4' ( my range on the comparator is 3-5) but I want to get one of the drop tests that changes color to really be sure about what my chlorine levels are at. Have to go review that thread to remember what that's called.

6. Back To Top    #6

I going to recommend the TF100 kit. It's the best value and the one I use along with many others. If you ever have to fight an algae out break you going to need an FAS/DPD test kit to read higher chlorine levels. The TF100 will do that for you along with accurate testing of your other parameters. Best investment you can make for your pool. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

In addition to the TF100 kit, I would highly recommend getting a SpeedStir to go with it. Makes testing much easier and you can buy it along with the test kit.
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

8. Back To Top    #8

Forgot about the SpeedStir. +1 😎
    Jeff

9. Back To Top    #9

Play around with this:
    http://jfhtm350.webs.com/pool/FillWaterCalculator.html

It will give you a general idea of what will happen after a rain.
    18,000 Gallon Aboveground. Sand Filter with 2HP 2 speed Pump.