Test Kit Arrived

Hey Folks...2006C test kit finally arrived and took some readings this am.

FC-2.6
PH- 7.8
Alk-100
Hardness -100
CYA - 0

I have been ball-parking it with test strips up to now. FC has dropped off to zero several times but now I am in better shape to stay on top of things (not much season left anyway in Northern Alberta)
From the above I will start adding stabilizer today and will try the sock in the skimmer method. Heater is currently running but I assume that doesn't matter.
Am I missing anything?

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Test results look good except for CYA which you are going to address today. Being quite far north, you probably want to shoot for a lower CYA, probably 20-30 being this late in the season.

Years ago I delivered a couple of Bobcat construction machines to Ft. McMurray. Beautiful country, desolate, but beautiful. Alot of miles with nothing but evergreen trees.

I would shoot for a CYA level of 30. That's the bottom of the range. The reason I suggest the level of 30 is your swim season is probably on the down side and the angle of the sun is lower in the sky, so you won't need as much protection from the sun burning off your chlorine. CYA is your sun block for your chlorine.
Just remember it'll take up to a week to fully register on a test so you don't waste reagents testing for it. ?

Welcome to the forum :wave:

The more intense the sunshine the more you need to have a higher CYA level to keep the sun from burning off your chlorine. What Pwrstrk is saying is that you are way north and should not need to have much CYA to protect your chlorine. I'm in Wisconsin and I keep it around 40 and that works fine for me.

Thanks everyone. Much appreciated. C'mon over for a dip and a burger!

You being that far north, i suspect week after next you will have packed the swim trunks and pulled out the skates, shoveled the snow off the pool and got the hockey sticks out. And for that reason, I gave up my parka and pacs when i moved south one winter, I stopped heading south when they didnt know what a snow shovel was. I'm home nowwwww....

Anyway, I'm glad you have things on track now. Just take the time to do some reading and soon it will all become second nature to you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.