Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Test Kit Arrived

1. Back To Top    #1

Test Kit Arrived

Hey Folks...2006C test kit finally arrived and took some readings this am.

FC-2.6
    PH- 7.8
    Alk-100
    Hardness -100
    CYA - 0

I have been ball-parking it with test strips up to now. FC has dropped off to zero several times but now I am in better shape to stay on top of things (not much season left anyway in Northern Alberta)
    From the above I will start adding stabilizer today and will try the sock in the skimmer method. Heater is currently running but I assume that doesn't matter.
    Am I missing anything?

Thanks in advance,
    Dan
    17,000G above ground. Hayward 200k gas heater. 1 HP Hayward pump. Hayward X Stream cartridge filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Test Kit Arrived

Test results look good except for CYA which you are going to address today. Being quite far north, you probably want to shoot for a lower CYA, probably 20-30 being this late in the season.

Years ago I delivered a couple of Bobcat construction machines to Ft. McMurray. Beautiful country, desolate, but beautiful. Alot of miles with nothing but evergreen trees.
    Randy H.

Intex 18' X 48"
    G.A.M.E. Sandpro 75 Sand Filter (Single Speed 3/4 HP, 75 lbs sand, 2650 GPH, 7-way valve)

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Randy. Homemade solar heater...I like that. I don't get the connection to northern climate/CYA level but I'll snoop around on the site and figure it out
    17,000G above ground. Hayward 200k gas heater. 1 HP Hayward pump. Hayward X Stream cartridge filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Test Kit Arrived

I would shoot for a CYA level of 30. That's the bottom of the range. The reason I suggest the level of 30 is your swim season is probably on the down side and the angle of the sun is lower in the sky, so you won't need as much protection from the sun burning off your chlorine. CYA is your sun block for your chlorine.
    Just remember it'll take up to a week to fully register on a test so you don't waste reagents testing for it. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Welcome to the forum

The more intense the sunshine the more you need to have a higher CYA level to keep the sun from burning off your chlorine. What Pwrstrk is saying is that you are way north and should not need to have much CYA to protect your chlorine. I'm in Wisconsin and I keep it around 40 and that works fine for me.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks everyone. Much appreciated. C'mon over for a dip and a burger!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    That would be great 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

8. Back To Top    #8

if you use 10ml water sample for testing FC your reagents will last a lot longer
    check this link
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...Kit-Directions
    SWG inground peanut shaped eco-bright concrete pool
    50,000 litres 13,000 gallons
    Lincoln Salt Chlorinator, 25 gram cell Sand Filter with glass media
    Taylor K2006-C test kit, Taylor K-1766 salt test, Dolphin M500 pool cleaner
    are you taking care of your pool or is the poolshop taking care of you

9. Back To Top    #9

Using the fas-dpd test, you should do a test for cc as soon as you have the FC result. As someone said before, you should use the 10 ml test. That is as accurate as you need and saves reagent.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

10. Back To Top    #10

You being that far north, i suspect week after next you will have packed the swim trunks and pulled out the skates, shoveled the snow off the pool and got the hockey sticks out. And for that reason, I gave up my parka and pacs when i moved south one winter, I stopped heading south when they didnt know what a snow shovel was. I'm home nowwwww....

Anyway, I'm glad you have things on track now. Just take the time to do some reading and soon it will all become second nature to you.
    Randy H.

Intex 18' X 48"
    G.A.M.E. Sandpro 75 Sand Filter (Single Speed 3/4 HP, 75 lbs sand, 2650 GPH, 7-way valve)