Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Time to replace DE filter grids?

1. Back To Top    #1

Time to replace DE filter grids?

Hello everyone.
    I have an old Nautilus FNS 36 filter and a Hayward 1.5 horse pump. This system was here when we purchased the house in 2006. We live in an area of the People's Republic of Maryland that is rolling hills. Over the last three years our in ground gun-nite pool has been awash with mud from some of the heavy rain down pours.

I have had to take the filter apart three or four times each season to remove the mud. Muddy Filter 0041.jpg

Here's my question. I have done all the necessary cleaning and maintenance and for the past years it has worked well. This year however, it has been blowing what appears to be DE back into the pool. It looks like I have a layer of DE 'dust' on the bottom of my pool and when I vacuum it up, it blows clean through the filter and back into the pool.

Can anyone tell me, will new grids remedy this problem? Thank you.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Time to replace DE filter grids?

Yes New grids will fix it. I had the same problem but once i replaced the grids I have had no issues. If you inspect the grids you may notice areas where the plastic frames are broken
    12k - free form - plaster- Nautilus fns48 DE filter- centurion 1hp (so quiet)- In floor cleaning system with Jandy Caretaker - TF-50 and 5 in 1 test kit, Phoenix, Az

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, you're right some are broken and the grid material, even after cleaning with soap water and a scrub brush, is still a light brown color. I am assuming it has lost its ability to hold onto the DE and filter properly....

4. Back To Top    #4

Yep it has... the primary way to know they need replacing is blowback into the pool with either cracked/broken frames or torn covers
    12k - free form - plaster- Nautilus fns48 DE filter- centurion 1hp (so quiet)- In floor cleaning system with Jandy Caretaker - TF-50 and 5 in 1 test kit, Phoenix, Az