Need Help with New Pool Please

Check in 2 hours and see where your FC is. Get it back up if it's below shock level. You can go a tick or two higher than shock level. Anymore than that is wasting bleach.
You want to backwash your filter when the pressure rises 25% above what the clean pressure reads. ?

If you have a leslies locally, you might give them a call to see if they have any r-0871 reagent just to tide you over until you get your refills. If they do, I wouldn't rush over to pick it up until you're actually out of it.

If you do get in the pool, make sure kids and bathing suits get washed off immediately, not rinsed but washed. You don't want to re-contaminate your pool.

Also, check pool toys as well (noodles, floats, balls, etc) and throw them in the pool while SLAMing to clean them as well.

We all would love to put a time limit in a SLAM, but it is what it is and it will take as long as it needs to. My SLAM took 3 1/2 days, others have taken two weeks or more. It all depends on how contaminated your pool is. The FC consumption rate will slow and you'll be able to maintain your shock level with fewer tests and additions but the CCs will remain high and clarity will take time to achieve. That's the hardest part and the point at which most people feel like giving up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since the pool bottom is not clear we are not getting in the pool. But when it is clear and we can get in we will shower afterwards and wash the suits in the washing machine
I did backwash since I recall the pump used to be at 10psi, lots of dirty water came out, it did clear, then rinsed and put it back to filter, psi is 0-5 now, but the water coming back into the pool is more powerful.
Put the robot cleaner in for a few hours. Each time there is dirt and leaves when we clean out the bag
We don't have a Leslie's locally but I can ask our local pool shop tomorrow.
I took out all of the toys thinking they could be blocking the outflow to the skimmer basket. Should I put them in, or will the algae die off in the barn since they are all dry and just hose them off once we can get back in the pool?
Since we live in Indy I am hoping for the process to take a few days, we won't have a few weeks for swimming.
Results now
FC 13.5
Added bleach and will retest in few hours.

Make sure to get all the debris out of the bottom. This will be huge step in making this process go faster.
You can let the toys in the pool or clean them off with a bleach water solution. You want them algae free. ?

We are hoping that all the debris is getting picked up by the pool robot, we can't see the bottom yet. We are getting out the floating bugs and leaves from the top of the pool water. We have put him in everyday for 2 hours hoping that he will find what we cannot see.

Thanks, toys in pool. Robot out left him in for 3 hours today, had leaves and dirt. Will post numbers after checking them this afternoon.

You're doing great, keep it up!!

Also, keep a close watch on your sand filter. Backwash as much as you need to. As you get towards the end of a SLAM you may find that achieving the clarity you desire is taking a long time. Sand filters are not the best filtration types for fine particulates like dead algae. So while your SLAMing now, read up on adding DE or cellulose fiber to your filter as that can help in the later stages of the SLAM with clarity.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If the return flow feels weak then you need to backwash the filter, otherwise wait until there has been a 20% increase in pressure from your usual clean pressure. If there is only a slight drop in chlorine after two hours you can wait another hour or two until the next test. Try to do the last bleach addition of the day at dusk. That will give you a good long time when the only FC loss is from killing algae and not UV exposure from the sun.

OK back home. Water is a blue green. Still cloudy still can't
see the bottom.
Put the robot back in. FYI when I say he has leaves and dirt
it is usually just a leaf or two and then the bag is dirty.
There is not a pile of dirt. But he is back in because. I want
to whatever I can to get this SLAMing done best

FC 11
More bleach added
Not sure I still understand how often to backwash. Our psi is back
up to 10-15. So do I backwash again now? I have read some about
putting the DE in the sand filter. I may need to leave that to my husband
I know I don't want to take apart the filter.

Thanks again

What kind of pressure gauge do you have? Can you post a pic?

Sounds like you went from somewhere below 5psi to now over 10psi. That would be a 100% increase in filter pressure which means you should backwash again.

It's important to always note the starting pressure on the filter. Some gauges have a little black plastic ring on the outside of them that allow you to mark a start pressure.

Nice!!

So that plastic face plate marked with START and SERVICE is rotatable so you can mark your starting point each time after a backwash.

If you were below 5 and over 10 now, then you need to backwash.

In the future, after a backwash, start the pump up and let the system run for a bit and then note the filter pressure. Sometimes it can take a few minutes for all the air the bleed out and give you a good solid reading.

OK will do. Part of my problem may be I cannot open this basket to clean out with the backwash. I think I am meant to clean out the skimmer and this prior to backwashing but can't get it to budge. So I cleaned out the skimmer and back washed earlier. Husband is at work so we are stuck. But will backwash to get the PSI down

- - - Updated - - -

Well I can't post it but it is the basket closer to the pump

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.