Looking for a good pressure washer

Jun 20, 2014
Tucson, AZ
Hi all! :wave:

Looking to see if anyone on TFP has an opinion on a good GAS POWERED pressure washer (come on...This is TFP, everyone has an opinion :p )

Not interested in electric.

Here's the one I've heard good reviews and have been stalking in Amazon -

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004S8HKU8/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_dONaub08KY6G4

I have about 1200sq ft of concrete decking, walkways and patio, a half basketball court and a paver stone BBQ/firepit party area as well as a 1000sq ft asphalt drive way. I already borrow a friends electric one (Simpson purchased at Costco) which is a piece of junk and barely works better than my garden hose. I'm pretty sure I have lots of uses for it so I'm not worried about being gas powered and not used for long periods of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a Karcher unit. 5hp Honda engine. I've had it for about 15 years and it always been a real workhorse. One tip is after use before you put it away spray some WD-40 into the pump intake and run it through the pump.

I remember reading somewhere that the Honda engines are "the bomb" and that the water pump is really critical since some vendors use plastic parts in the pumps which makes the basically junk.

Any insight or reading on pump and engine specs would be great.

I think you will be happy with that one. Probably overkill, but that's usually not a bad thing. I have it's 2800 psi little brother. It will do everything I need it to do. Supposedly the best pumps have brass components. I'm not sure where to find out what the internals of the pump are made of. I've only seen one or two that boast a brass pump. May be able to go to the actual pump manufacturers website and see what they say. The generac website doesn't have any information like that on it. At least it didn't a couple months ago when I got mine.

I think you will be happy with that one. Probably overkill, but that's usually not a bad thing. I have it's 2800 psi little brother. It will do everything I need it to do. Supposedly the best pumps have brass components. I'm not sure where to find out what the internals of the pump are made of. I've only seen one or two that boast a brass pump. May be able to go to the actual pump manufacturers website and see what they say. The generac website doesn't have any information like that on it. At least it didn't a couple months ago when I got mine.

Cool. Thanks.

I'll see if I can get anymore info out of Generac. I'm not above calling them up and harassing them until they tell me :p

The main issue you want to look for is a good pump. Actually, most of the gas powered Simpson washers are top quality. I was going to buy a Simpson from Lowes, but when it came in, it was a Dewalt, which is actually made by Simpson. I ended up getting a discount since the wrong thing came in and have been very happy with it. 3800 psi, Honda engine and good pump. After every use, I flush the pump with a Briggs and Stratton pump lubricant.

How do you use the pump lubricant? Squirt it in and crank the engine over a couple times? I need to get some. I didn't realize you used it more than just at the end of the season though.

N240sxguy.....it has a hose connection and you just screw it in just like a hose. No need to crank the engine as you are just trying to clear water from the pump and lubricate. Just make sure the wand is disconnected. Continue to spray until the white foam comes out....about 2-3 seconds. That's it! Cheap insurance.

So just screw it on and squeeze the bottle? That makes sense. I always turn the engine over a couple times, with the kill switch off, to clear the pump as the directions instructed. That doesn't lubricate anything or get all the water out though. I'll be getting some of the lubricant on my next trip out. I like working on stuff, but not before it's time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
WD-40 works just as well and a lot cheaper. That's what it was designed for the WD stands for Water Displacement.

I have well water so I have an inline filter as a little insurance something doesn't get past the whole house filter and into my pump. I use RV antifreeze. I unscrew the plastic see through cup, fill it with the RV antifreeze and swivel it upside down so it's sucked into the pump when I pull the engine over a couple times with the ignition off (oil shutdown switch).

I have a Northern Tool pressure washer with a Honda engine and a CAT pump. The pump is the expensive part. What I learned is that a lot of pumps on the cheaper washers have a very short life expectancy even if properly cared for. CAT pumps aren't cheap but they are built to go the distance. The rebuild kit for one is almost the same as a whole new cheap pump.

Mine is almost 20 years old and all I've needed to do is replace the engine and pump oil occasionally and spark plug, one gun that was run over and a couple lost nozzles. BUT >> I would go electric if it ever dies on me. It's just easier not having to mess with gas and everyplace I've used it there has been an outlet handy.

Northern Tool Pressure Washers
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...tx=mode+matchallpartial&Ns=P-AverageRatings|1

The filter is about $12, really cheap compared to a new pump.
http://www.homedepot.com/s/pressure%20washer%20filter?NCNI-5

Antifreeze $5 but I usually get it cheaper as I pick it up when it's on sale even if I'm not out at the time (Walmart, auto parts store, ...)
http://www.homedepot.com/p/DOW-128-oz-RV-Antifreeze-147005/202530435

So just screw it on and squeeze the bottle? That makes sense. I always turn the engine over a couple times, with the kill switch off, to clear the pump as the directions instructed. That doesn't lubricate anything or get all the water out though. I'll be getting some of the lubricant on my next trip out. I like working on stuff, but not before it's time.

Screw it on and hit the spray trigger.....the can is pressurized and will blow the lubricant into the pump under pressure.

WD40 may be good, but the can is the secret. I can get a dozen uses or more out of a can do it is pretty cheap in my opinion.

Kiss4afrog,

Thanks for the great info, I'll look into the CAT pump!!

I'm going gas not because I like the idea of having to store a gas can and oil but because every electric washer I've ever used or investigated are just not up to the task. Electric washers just can generate enough water pressure and all the ones I've ever used just seem cheap and flimsy.

And I'm also interested in the water connections. I've read/seen a lot of them that use plastic hose connectors instead of brass. I want to avoid plastic junk as much as possible too.

You can get awesome electric ones. They are just well over $1000, and you have to plug it into a welding receptacle because they draw a huge amount of current. With the price vs power difference, gas is usually the way to go if you need good cleaning power on a budget. I would love to have one of the electric ones though. So cool to tell someone you have an electric pressure washer, watch them smirk, then blast the paint off anything in front of you.

You can get awesome electric ones. They are just well over $1000, and you have to plug it into a welding receptacle because they draw a huge amount of current. With the price vs power difference, gas is usually the way to go if you need good cleaning power on a budget. I would love to have one of the electric ones though. So cool to tell someone you have an electric pressure washer, watch them smirk, then blast the paint off anything in front of you.

Hahahaha...that's funny. Yeah since I can't spend a fortune and I'm not keen on causing a local brown-out in my homeowners association, I think I'll stick with gas. Plus I have a neighbor that I would love nothing more than to annoy with a loud gas engine ;)

Better take the muffler off then. Mine isn't too loud at all. I still weak my radio ear muffs. Better safe than sorry. And pressure washing gets boring after a while. Rocking out helps pass the time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.