Looking for a good pressure washer

Darn! Now that I'm looking at the Northern Tools website, I'm up in the air again. I'll definitely still go with gas (I'll trip breakers with 120V/20A electric motor), but now the NT machines with the CAT water pumps look real good. Minor problem though - washer doesn't come with spray tips (sold separately)...

Oh well. This is definitely an item on the agenda of the next family budget meeting....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we're going that way with it, a water blasting company we have do work for us at work uses blasters that have 6 cylinder turbo Diesel engines. They make somewhere over 20,000 psi. The whole thing is mounted on a twin axle 20 ft trailer.

Tips are usually on $5-6 a piece at most.

Which is really sad that they don't include them....if I'm spending $600 you can't throw in a bunch of tips???

If we're going that way with it, a water blasting company we have do work for us at work uses blasters that have 6 cylinder turbo Diesel engines. They make somewhere over 20,000 psi. The whole thing is mounted on a twin axle 20 ft trailer.

Ok guys, I want to clean the flagstone, not launch my coping into low-Earth orbit :eek:

If I had to guess I would think they figure whoever is dropping that much on a pressure washer is going to want very specific nozzle sizes. Or they are just stupid. That's an option too. I was looking up some info on pressure washing a house. Anyway, a pressure washer usually only applies soap at low pressure. The soap tip usually included is sufficient for spraying a car, and not much more. I bought a soap tip at Home Depot that has a smaller diameter opening than the standard soap tip, and it will reach my second story ridge line. It gives a little more pressure, but not enough that the pump can't pull soap. I've seen charts online where you select the gpm of your pressure washer, slide across to the pressure you want it at, and it tells exactly what tip size to use. Apparently there are others besides the 4 or 5 that come with regular pressure washers. Those may all be different sizes too if you look from brand to brand. A green tip on one may be completely different than a green tip on another.

SunnyOptisum, I purchased a reconditioned Ryobi http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-31...e-Down-RY80940/203615829?N=5yc1vZbxdjZ1z0zy8v from Home Depot a few weeks ago. It was $100 cheaper than a new one. I cleaned my house eaves, concrete and patio furniture(BTW I just painted the outside of my house and it looks fantastic). After weeks of research I really wanted the Ryobi. I works great and I bought an extended warranty for $50, complete replacement policy for 5 years. Hope this helps

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would go with the cheaper one. Bigger motor, smaller tank, shorter hose. $150 cheaper. I don't think the tank is an issue at all. I would want the bigger engine. You can get a longer hose, and still be better off $$$ wise. My hose is 25 ft and I'm fine with it. A 50 would just be that much better.

I would go with the cheaper one. Bigger motor, smaller tank, shorter hose. $150 cheaper. I don't think the tank is an issue at all. I would want the bigger engine. You can get a longer hose, and still be better off $$$ wise. My hose is 25 ft and I'm fine with it. A 50 would just be that much better.

Thanks.

What about the "low oil cutoff", do you think that is useful or just bells & whistles?

I didn't know they made engines without a low oil shutoff anymore. Even the cheap $99 engines at harbor freight have low oil shutoff last time I checked. I'd say it is a bell and whistle that should be included. I don't think it justifies the price difference. I saw the more expensive one has an extra year warranty. All those things together may be enough to sway you toward it. I check oil in all my stuff frequently, so it has little value to me.

I didn't know they made engines without a low oil shutoff anymore. Even the cheap $99 engines at harbor freight have low oil shutoff last time I checked. I'd say it is a bell and whistle that should be included. I don't think it justifies the price difference. I saw the more expensive one has an extra year warranty. All those things together may be enough to sway you toward it. I check oil in all my stuff frequently, so it has little value to me.

Thanks. You've been super-helpful and I really appreciate it!!

No problem. Report back once you get it. Any decent pressure washer is worth it's weight in gold. My cars have never been so clean. Got some carwash soap and a nice pole brush and went to town on them.

No problem. Report back once you get it. Any decent pressure washer is worth it's weight in gold. My cars have never been so clean. Got some carwash soap and a nice pole brush and went to town on them.

Well, be careful there. Most pressure washers are powerful enough to blast the paint right off of a car. Even a 2500 or 3000 psi unit can easily ruin a paint job. When I first got my pressure washer I set out to clean a wooden fence along one side of my property. After I blew a hole in the fence, I learned to be very careful with a pressure washer.

I wash my cars with two buckets, a wool wash mitt and lots of gentle care.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.