Question about age of bleach

Erack

Jun 16, 2014
Mebane, NC
If 12.5% bleach from the pool store is still in the sealed box that 4 one gallon jugs come in and has been in the store, in AC, no sunlight and the manufacture date code on the box is 5/13/14 is it still 12.5% or has it dropped? If it has dropped at what % has it dropped to?

I'd bet it's not 12.5% anymore. Could be wrong though. The higher the chlorine percentage the faster it degrades. I've gotten 12,5% at our Ollie's that was 3-4 months old and it didn't raise the FC level that pool math said it should. It worked out to be 10%.
Try some and see what results you get. ?

It's likely that they are all the same assuming they were manufactured at the same time and stored in the same conditions. You can just see the result from using them since if you are wrong you won't be overshooting by very much (they certainly won't still be at the original 12.5% in any event).

Yes I have bought two cases so I have to use it. I have been waiting 30 mins after additions to retest. It is looking like it is 9%. Should have bought 8.75% from Walmart :)

BUT , , , why wouldn't you have the same question about Walmart's ?? Depending on the date on it and the conditions where it was stored and whether it was in a hot trailer being transported across country is it still 8.75 or 7.5, 7 or less :confused::confused:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.