Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about age of bleach

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about age of bleach

If 12.5% bleach from the pool store is still in the sealed box that 4 one gallon jugs come in and has been in the store, in AC, no sunlight and the manufacture date code on the box is 5/13/14 is it still 12.5% or has it dropped? If it has dropped at what % has it dropped to?
    18360 gallon; Vinyl IG; Pentair SuperFlo High Performance Pump w/3HP ecotech EZ variable speed motor; Hayward S-200 sand filter; Dolphin Supreme M4 cleaning robot; Taylor K-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Question about age of bleach

I'd bet it's not 12.5% anymore. Could be wrong though. The higher the chlorine percentage the faster it degrades. I've gotten 12,5% at our Ollie's that was 3-4 months old and it didn't raise the FC level that pool math said it should. It worked out to be 10%.
    Try some and see what results you get. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Question about age of bleach

It's probably dropped a little, but I wouldn't be afraid to use it
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes I have bought two cases so I have to use it. I have been waiting 30 mins after additions to retest. It is looking like it is 9%. Should have bought 8.75% from Walmart
    18360 gallon; Vinyl IG; Pentair SuperFlo High Performance Pump w/3HP ecotech EZ variable speed motor; Hayward S-200 sand filter; Dolphin Supreme M4 cleaning robot; Taylor K-2006 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

It is for certain that this one jug is 9%. Would it be safe to assume the other jugs in the case are 9% as well or should I treat them as a higher % and test before using amounts based on a 9% result?

6. Back To Top    #6

It's likely that they are all the same assuming they were manufactured at the same time and stored in the same conditions. You can just see the result from using them since if you are wrong you won't be overshooting by very much (they certainly won't still be at the original 12.5% in any event).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Erack View Post
    Yes I have bought two cases so I have to use it. I have been waiting 30 mins after additions to retest. It is looking like it is 9%. Should have bought 8.75% from Walmart
    BUT , , , why wouldn't you have the same question about Walmart's ?? Depending on the date on it and the conditions where it was stored and whether it was in a hot trailer being transported across country is it still 8.75 or 7.5, 7 or less
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

I always forget about this factor when people are saying how much bleach they are adding and not ever reaching their target....
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!