What are your thoughts on this?

RiffeShooter

Platinum Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
Lake Jackson, Texas
My ODK build will probably be a u-shaped island with a bar on two sides and somewhere around 8'x12'x8'. I purchased one of these from Sam's while the pool was being built and was planning on incorporating it into the ODK. My thoughts are to put it in the center of the 12' section (which would be one of the bar seating areas) for mass burger, hot dog, and food production. The reason I would put it in the center is because I also thought it would be cool to buy this griddle topper for it and have fun "attempting" to do the Japanese style hibachi stuff. You know, the onion volcano, stir fried rice, etc… Even if the thing looks like a turd in a year or two, they are cheap enough to just swap in another. I do plan on have another normal ODK grill in the mix as well. Whacha think?

Here is a couple of quick sketches I did trying to get layout ideas in my head.

IMG_2072.jpg

IMG_2074.jpg

UPDATED:

I'm still having some issues deciding on which layout to go with. These two pics are the first attempt at a layout, it doesn't have all the doors and drawers but I was trying to figure to appliance placement.

ODK1.png

ODK2.png

Here is an example based off the original idea at the top from the hand drawn pics with the hibachi back in it's original place.

ODK3.png

ODK4.png

I'm still not sure on the right side configuration or the front. Yes, it would be "cool" to have front row viewing for the hibachi table assuming you want to put on "the show" like the Japanese restaurants which is also assuming that one would learn this style of cooking... Lol By putting it on the right side, it would probably be the most efficient use of of counter space and prep area, drink serving, etc...

Another thing I am having issues with is if I want to put in the kegerator with the Texas heat. One think I do know, is I will NOT spend $3K+ on an outdoor model, I just don't think I could do it. Then it comes to the fridge. With them being so small, are they worth it...

Another question I do have, as it is configured in the second set of pics it gives 6' of space in the middle. How much space do you actually need to walk around, 4', 5', 6'? I also did another design with some extra drawers in the middle (see pic below) but I think this may make the ODK too wide for where I need to put it. For location reference, I will build this OKD on the pool deck and the pool will be located off of the right corner.

ODK5.png

Make sure you account for accessing the propane tanks so they are easy to swap out. Looks like a fun idea!

Actually, I'm going to run as much as 15 psi into the kitchen and regulate down for various appliances so no tanks needed. I've already run line for a 500 gallon propane tank that will be delivered on Thursday hopefully. :) If I build this grill into to the kitchen, I won't use the legs, wheels, etc… The reason for the high psi is I have a Cajun Fryer and it burns at 15 psi. I have not thought of a good way to incorporate it yet, well, and look good, so I may just keep that on a tank and then just run run 10 psi into the kitchen because I will definitely have the recess burner for crawfish and crab boils and the more BTU the better on those…

Good job! It looks like a functional design and I'm glad you added a full-size sink with lot's of storage/counter space-Always necessary for cooking-in-mass! If you can, add a garbage disposer and hot-water (small electric (Eemax75) is good enough). Keep us posted!

Good job! It looks like a functional design and I'm glad you added a full-size sink with lot's of storage/counter space-Always necessary for cooking-in-mass! If you can, add a garbage disposer and hot-water (small electric (Eemax75) is good enough). Keep us posted!

I was planning on doing the bucket under the sink trick for the drain. Would be waaaaaaaaaay too much of a pita to try and plumb into the septic system or install another septic just for the pool… I can do the hot water though for sure…

Looks very cool and well laid out. The only hesitation I would have is framing the cut/out for the large 8-burner grill that you indicate may have to be replaced in the near future. The odd sized cut-out may or may not work with future replacements. I would just keep that in mind with my countertop decisions and keep materials to adjust the cut-out if needed. In other words I would be hesitant to put in solid granite countertop, cut to size, that might be difficult to modify to accommodate future modifications. Just a thought. Looking forward to seeing this build.

Riles

Looks very cool and well laid out. The only hesitation I would have is framing the cut/out for the large 8-burner grill that you indicate may have to be replaced in the near future. The odd sized cut-out may or may not work with future replacements. I would just keep that in mind with my countertop decisions and keep materials to adjust the cut-out if needed. In other words I would be hesitant to put in solid granite countertop, cut to size, that might be difficult to modify to accommodate future modifications. Just a thought. Looking forward to seeing this build.

Riles

Thanks and I have thought about that. I was thinking of just picking another one up as a spare, or maybe two. Lol I know they have been making this event grill for quite a while, I guess I could do a little history search on it to see if they have always been the same size, or even call the manufacturer and asking them about past and future production. I remember seeing a thread that states who the manufacturer is, it is probably on the manual as well.

As far as the size of the griddle rodog123, yes, it is but the way I look at it, it will be easier to learn the spinning spatula, onion tricks, and fried rice on a biggun...:D

I've been thinking of doing it myself. I checked with a drywall supply place and the 8' sections of 20 gauge is 3 something a piece and the track is $4.70 each for 10' sections. I'll call a couple of more before I purchase but the materials will probably be half the cost of going the pre cut route. I have all the tools I need to do it so I am good there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Holy momma that sucker is huge!! Heck for $400, get a few extras like you said. This thing will be the bomb!

Exactly, cheap enough to replace yearly if need be. I haven't opened the box yet but I think it even comes with a cover and it looks easy enough just to set it up without the legs so it looks built in. I'll still have the other grill but this would be the "fun" grill. I'm think of going with the Pitcrafters stuff. They guarantee their stainless for life.

I just ordered the stuff for my basic grill island. I went with a Cal Flame package they had at DIYBBQ. So I'll be doing all the assembly and finish work on it myself. Prices for a contractor to do it were just more than I was willing to spend, although even doing it mostly yourself is not cheap!

My scout troop bought that exact same grill for large family feasts. It can really crank out dogs / burgers / brats and we have a smaller/different griddle cover for doing pancakes. The only issue we have is that temperature control can be a bit hit or miss. Looks like a great project. I built my kitchen by hand from steel studs from Home Depot. Worked extremely well. You can see more details on the journey here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/63645-Outdoor-Kitchen-Build-Kansas

Have fun, and post pictures as you go.

Rifle - that looks fabulous! I'd love to have something like that, I'd never cook in the house again. I don't know if it would work for your set up and mine is a pretty small space but having my fridge on the end so folks getting drinks are not in the cooking area has been the best idea ever. Everyone that has seen it comments on how they wish they had done it that way.

I habe a questions for u , I'm planning my outdoor kitchen as well on paper. What program did u use to put it into , i need to see my vision all in color etc and like the program u used? was it an online product ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.