Pool Heating and Solar panels

PoolStudent

LifeTime Supporter
May 15, 2014
Central Florida
I'm just starting to look into getting solar panels for my home. If I do get solar panels should I go the route of a heat pump or solar heating for my pool? I'm sure this is a loaded question that will require a lot of research on my part, but I'm just looking for some ideas and maybe some good sites to get started. Also, please feel free to share any experiences you may have.

In Florida solar will provide you with all the heat you need from at least May to September and probably more. The rest of the year the heat pump would be the main source.

Bob is right, a cover really really makes a difference.

Poolstudent, we have both heat pump and solar. The solar give us enough heat from March thru October. In the cooler months we have to use the heat pump to get additional heat. We also use a pool cover which keeps the heat in the pool.:cheers::cheers:

Poolstudent, we have both heat pump and solar. The solar give us enough heat from March thru October. In the cooler months we have to use the heat pump to get additional heat. We also use a pool cover which keeps the heat in the pool.:cheers::cheers:

What temp do you aim for in the cooler months? My daughter is still under the age of 2 and can't keep herself as warm as us adults. Even at with the temp at 86 it takes her a few minutes to adapt to the water.

How much of a difference does the pool cover make and what kind do you have?

A lot of the studies/research has been done. Here's some great info:
http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/en/consumer/solar_hot_water/pools/index.htm

The page list collector ratings, sizing and economics and a good Q&A page.
Home the info helps.

One of the nice things it's not from a manufacturer, it's from the University of Central Florida. The Florida Solar Energy Center (FSEC) is a research institute of the University of Central Florida.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.