Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Heating and Solar panels

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Heating and Solar panels

I'm just starting to look into getting solar panels for my home. If I do get solar panels should I go the route of a heat pump or solar heating for my pool? I'm sure this is a loaded question that will require a lot of research on my part, but I'm just looking for some ideas and maybe some good sites to get started. Also, please feel free to share any experiences you may have.
    16K gallon in ground plaster pool
    Hayward star clear plus c1202 Cartridge filter
    4 speed Pentair Intelliflo Pump
    TF-100 w/Speed Stir
    Manual Brush and Vacuum

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Heating and Solar panels

If you've got the dollars why not both. Solar then heat pump. Where are you located? If you're not going to be using a pool cover it's like heating the house without a roof.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

In Florida solar will provide you with all the heat you need from at least May to September and probably more. The rest of the year the heat pump would be the main source.

Bob is right, a cover really really makes a difference.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm in the Orlando area. I will look into a cover for the short term while I research systems.
    TF-100 w/Speed Stir
    Manual Brush and Vacuum

5. Back To Top    #5

In central Florida it is practical to manage 11-12 month pool operation with solar heat, in other parts of the country this is not practical.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

Poolstudent, we have both heat pump and solar. The solar give us enough heat from March thru October. In the cooler months we have to use the heat pump to get additional heat. We also use a pool cover which keeps the heat in the pool.
    6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Brentr View Post
    Poolstudent, we have both heat pump and solar. The solar give us enough heat from March thru October. In the cooler months we have to use the heat pump to get additional heat. We also use a pool cover which keeps the heat in the pool.
    What temp do you aim for in the cooler months? My daughter is still under the age of 2 and can't keep herself as warm as us adults. Even at with the temp at 86 it takes her a few minutes to adapt to the water.

How much of a difference does the pool cover make and what kind do you have?
    TF-100 w/Speed Stir
    Manual Brush and Vacuum

8. Back To Top    #8

A lot of the studies/research has been done. Here's some great info:
    http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/en/consumer/...ools/index.htm

The page list collector ratings, sizing and economics and a good Q&A page.
    Home the info helps.

One of the nice things it's not from a manufacturer, it's from the University of Central Florida. The Florida Solar Energy Center (FSEC) is a research institute of the University of Central Florida.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida