Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: HELP - I screwed up

1. Back To Top    #1

Exclamation HELP - I screwed up

Hello all, Thanks for the great site, it has worked wonderful... Until I messed up.

I put a new head on my sand filter (old spider gasket leaking) and I switched the pump and return lines! Well when i started it up, sand and YUCK came into my beautifully clean pool. I stopped it and fixed my mistake.

Now I still have a pool filled with cloudy yuck water, I have been filtering for over 24 hours and brought my FC up over 4 PPM just so I didn't get an algae bloom.

How do I clear up the water? (all other levels were normal as of this morning)

Thanks in advance,
    Michael
    15x30 Wilbar oval. Vinyl overlap liner. Hayward 1HP pump. Hayward 175 Lb. Sand filter. Intex SWG.

First real pool just opened 7/14

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: HELP - I screwed up

You can add some DE to your filter to help clear it up.
    Adding DE To A Sand Filter
    Have you vacuumed up the sand ? 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

I would let it settle to the bottom and vac it up
    Nathan
    15x30 gunite 18k gallons Hayward star clear plus 120sqft cart

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys, This is my first "Real Pool". I bought it used this spring and set everything up myself. What a learning curve! The water is finally getting warm enough to swim in and I did this. Do you think it is still OK to swim in? How do you check for that?

Thanks again,
    Michael
    15x30 Wilbar oval. Vinyl overlap liner. Hayward 1HP pump. Hayward 175 Lb. Sand filter. Intex SWG.

5. Back To Top    #5

HELP - I screwed up

As long as you can see the bottom of the pool you can swim.
    Safety reasons. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP..

You say you are keeping the FC above 4ppm, but what is the CYA? Depending on CYA 4 could be too high or too low. Are you using a recommended test kit, other kit or pool store testing.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

7. Back To Top    #7

I have clear water again! I still have some sand/silt on the bottom, but I have been vacuuming every 4 hours or so and have picked up 85-90% worth.

My CYA is 50. I have my FC at 3 normally.

Thank you all. I will also try the DE in my filter when I get back to the store.

8. Back To Top    #8

HELP - I screwed up

You should bump your CYA level up a bit to 70-80 for your SWG. 😎
    Jeff

9. Back To Top    #9

I don't see any text results other than your FC was >4 yesterday and your cya is 50 today and no mention at how you arrived at those results. If you don't already have one , you really need to get an adequate test kit. We recommend either the tf-100 or the Taylor k-2006. Either of which can be ordered at tftestkits.net. Provide a full set of your test results when you can.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

10. Back To Top    #10

I know that I need the tf-100. I have been doing the tests myself with the pool store brand test kit. I bought it beforei found this wonderful site, but I could not convince my wife to spend another $$$ for a test kit when I already have one. I will get it before opening next year.

11. Back To Top    #11

Think of the TF100 as an investment for your pool. In the long run it will save you money. 😎
    Jeff