Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Odd results, not sure what to do

1. Back To Top    #1

Boxborough, MA

Question Odd results, not sure what to do

First, apologies -- I dug around but couldn't find the right thread with the answers.

Using my handy dandy TFP kit, I just measured:
    Taylor Chlorine ~1 ppm
    pH ~7.0 (not 6.8, but not yet 7.2)

FC 0.5
    CC 3.5
    TC = 4.0

CYA <20

CH 450

TA 150

21000 18x36 oval vinyl pool

Battling green algae at the moment.

What's with the high chloramines and what do I do? I'm shooting for free chlorine 10 ppm to shock, but not sure what to do about the combined chloramines.

2. Back To Top    #2
    East Texas

Re: Odd results, not sure what to do

The CC is a byproduct of what little chlorine you have breaking down some algae. It is one of the 3 criteria that will be fixed when you properly slam your pool. See pool school on following the SLAM procedure.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3
    TFP Guide
    Central PA

I would think you might want to get some CYA in there to hold your chlorine a little while you SLAM.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

4. Back To Top    #4
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Does the CYA test mixture get cloudy at all? What did your CYA used to be?

If it's way lower than it used to be, and the CC is really high, you might have gotten some of whatever bacteria it is that converts CYA into Ammonia. If so, the pool's appetite for chlorine will be insatiable.

My advice: target 10 for the FC and start dumping bleach in, rechecking every hour and replenishing as needed. Once the CC starts dropping and the green turns grey, then worry about raising CYA. But keep the pool at shock level for your CYA level the whole time. Your pH is close enough, and the TA is high, so I expect the low pH will correct itself.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide
    Hudson, WI

Welcome to the forum

Please add your pools info to your signature as outlined here

CC is what it is and it isn't something you actively change it's the result or indicator of something taking place in the water. It's a result of your FC eating algae and as you destroy algae with a high enough FC level the CC drops.

I would add a little CYA until you are sure you are 20-30ppm so you aren't losing all the FC to sunlight during the day. You need to SLAM the pool :
    Test and add bleach as often as possible to maintain your shock level.

- - - Updated - - -

And bring the pH up to 7.2
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. May 20 - opened for summer
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit -
    Please help keep the lights on so we can be here for others, become a TFP Supporter!