Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair MiniMax NT Stopped working overnight E04

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair MiniMax NT Stopped working overnight E04

Lots of stories about this, and it seems to be one of 2-3 possible causes.

So here's the symptoms (first, it worked last night before I went to bed):

1) E04 error code
    2) I reset the heater with a power down
    3) When the heater turns on, you hear a click of the relay, but nothing happens.
    4) Eventually after a few minutes E04 is displayed

Now, I know that a common cause is the igniter, and dirt in the tubes, but the normal sequence of fire-up is:

1) The relay clicks
    2) The fan turns on immediately
    3) After 10-20 seconds (never really counted), the igniter turns on
    4) It's now heating.

Does the fact that nothing happen point to the fan? It doesn't even try to start.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair MiniMax NT Stopped working overnight E04

So I'm going to reply to myself.

I fiddled with it a bit and I felt the fan blowing some feeble air. However, I wasn't sure if it *always* did this.

So I finally figured out how it came apart (right side panel), and exposed the fan & motor. I could hear the motor humming, but now nothing was blowing. And I felt the top of the heater and it was hot. I did a quick touch of the motor, and it's burning hot.

In this case, it really is the fan. Fortunately Amazon has a replacement for not too much money .

3. Back To Top    #3

Excellent
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

So did you remove the motor and inspect the squirrel cage and was it intact or all rusted away? If it was still fully intact, then you most likely have a bad capacitor which can be changed out at a cheaper cost then the entire blower motor.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by ps0303 View Post
    So did you remove the motor and inspect the squirrel cage and was it intact or all rusted away? If it was still fully intact, then you most likely have a bad capacitor which can be changed out at a cheaper cost then the entire blower motor.
    I didn't do that, although I managed to track down a new blower motor for $211 shipped, which is why I didn't do any more diagnosis than I did.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by ps0303 View Post
    Out of curiousity, do you know what kind of capacitor this takes?

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

It uses a 5 microfarad (5UF) run/start capacitor.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,