Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need a good source for polyquat 60!

I need a good source for polyquat 60!

I have searched this forum for help, but I can't seem to find the answer. We live in a very small town and I normally have to start searching for polyquat 60 (to close the pool) very early. I have been looking for a couple of weeks now and haven't had any luck at all. I even had my husband check Oklahoma City while he was there on Friday.

Does anyone have a good online source for polyquat that won't kill me with shipping and handling charges? I found this, but I am not sure if it's the right thing and they are not answering my email requesting the ingredients information.

http://www.poolquest.com/detail.aspx?ID=3177

I appreciate any help or suggestions!

Liz
    Froggy

Re: I need a good source for polyquat 60!

Quote Originally Posted by brybejomom
    I have searched this forum for help, but I can't seem to find the answer. We live in a very small town and I normally have to start searching for polyquat 60 (to close the pool) very early. I have been looking for a couple of weeks now and haven't had any luck at all. I even had my husband check Oklahoma City while he was there on Friday.

Does anyone have a good online source for polyquat that won't kill me with shipping and handling charges? I found this, but I am not sure if it's the right thing and they are not answering my email requesting the ingredients information.

http://www.poolquest.com/detail.aspx?ID=3177

I appreciate any help or suggestions!

Liz
    try http://www.Aqua-Pool-Warehouse.com. Look under pool chemicals/algecides and it is listed as poly 60
    They do not charge shipping, but my last order had a $6.00 handling charge-so better to buy 2-3 quarts at a time. My last order cost $18.99/quart with no shipping or sales tax

Out in town a quart runs $24/quart
    Don SW Florida
    10,000 gal in ground concrete pool
    Pentair Cartridge filter, Pentair SWG, Pentair Intelliflow VS pump (11018)
    FAFCO solar panels w/Pentair SolarTouch controller
    using BBB for pool chemistry/Lamotte ColorQ tester for daily testing

Thanks Don, this is just what I was looking for! Why is this stuff so hard to find? I used to find it at Lowes but we noticed they changed the line of chemicals they carry. The joys of small town living.....

Liz
    Froggy

It's a pretty safe bet an algecide with the number 60 on the bottle, is polyquat 60.

I see their are several ebay sellers that carry the brand you linked in your first post. You may want to contact one of them and ask them what it says on the bottle. If so, that seems like a good price.

BTW, the parent company for NWS is AllChem Performance Products. You could also try contacting them.
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanB
    It's a pretty safe bet an algecide with the number 60 on the bottle, is polyquat 60.

I assumed that when I googled "polyquat 60", but wanted to be sure before I purchased anything. I still haven't gotten a response from them so if their customer service is any indication of reliability, I would rather pay more and shop elsewhere.

I will try your tips though and see what I can find out. Their prices are good, compared to everything else I have found.

BTW, you're doing a great job with your site!

Liz
    Froggy

Just noticed this.....

On the poolquest.com site I linked above it says "dosage: 4 - 8oz per 10,000 gallons" and on the site Don referred me to above, their brand says "2 - 4oz per 10.000 gallons". Hmmmm, that tells me the NWS brand may not be as strong.

Also, the ebay seller who sells NWS Algaecide 60 is the same person or persons that runs the poolquest.com website.

Liz
    Froggy

i dont sell them on my web site but my retail store sells poly 60 made by nu-clo just give me a PM and i can help you out
    thanks
    paul

is this the same stuff as polyquat?
    looks like it is, but I wanna make sure, fiberglass pool and I don't want any staining

http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Pool-Ch ... 14025.html

If I dumped some of this stuff in there would that kill off the algea and get it to stop growing?

I have electric pool cleaner that I can throw in there to stir up the water.
    15,000 gallon inground fiberglass pool with spa. 350lb Sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, and heater

www.poolgeek.com

I use the Robarb branded products. If you buy them by the case, they give you a deal on free shipping and handling. I buy 2 cases and it lasts me for 5 years. I am in the process of ordering once again. Bulk for me is always best as it lasts the longest. This is my 2 cents. I do the same for metal master as I need that to control the iron/copper in the water here.

Good luck.
    Chad R.

POOL SIZE: 16 x 32' Vinyl lined pool. 22,000 gallons. 8' deep. 2009 Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump. Hayward S310S 30" 500 lb Sand filter. 1 skimmer and 2 returns. Solar Blanket.

Pics of my pool: http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn312/reindeerboy/

Quote Originally Posted by smooth2222
    looks like it is, but I wanna make sure, fiberglass pool and I don't want any staining

If I dumped some of this stuff in there would that kill off the algea and get it to stop growing?

I think that is polyquat, Algaecides (including polyquats) can help prevent algae, but once you have it, you need to do the shocking process, since the algaecide will be ineffective killing it.
    TFP Moderator who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

Quote Originally Posted by smooth2222

Oh my gosh! I just got on here to see if the Leslie's brand 60 was the same thing. The lady at Leslie's snickered when I asked for polyquat. She showed me their algaecide which listed 60% poly... Something and 40% other ingredients. I asked what the other ingredients were, but she didn't know. I asked if it had metals and she said to "trust her" that it didn't. I can't afford to trust anyone-my pocketbook is too thin! I came home to look it up on here. I love this place!
    16.8k gallons, IG fiberglass (installed approximately 2000), 1 HP Challenger Pentair pump, Hayward SwimClear cartridge filter (none of the particulars are marked, but it has four 100 sq ft cartridges), UltraPure oxidizer, TF-100 test kit

Quote Originally Posted by smhill
    Oh my gosh! I just got on here to see if the Leslie's brand 60 was the same thing. The lady at Leslie's snickered when I asked for polyquat. She showed me their algaecide which listed 60% poly... Something and 40% other ingredients. I asked what the other ingredients were, but she didn't know. I asked if it had metals and she said to "trust her" that it didn't. I can't afford to trust anyone-my pocketbook is too thin! I came home to look it up on here. I love this place!
    Why do you need it?
    TFP Moderator who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

post496818.html#p496818

The link above is to the post I made regarding my current mess. If I understand correctly, because my FC needs to be at 0 when I do the AA, then polyquat 60 will help to keep the algae at bay. Is that correct?
    16.8k gallons, IG fiberglass (installed approximately 2000), 1 HP Challenger Pentair pump, Hayward SwimClear cartridge filter (none of the particulars are marked, but it has four 100 sq ft cartridges), UltraPure oxidizer, TF-100 test kit

Quote Originally Posted by smhill
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/post496818.html#p496818

The link above is to the post I made regarding my current mess. If I understand correctly, because my FC needs to be at 0 when I do the AA, then polyquat 60 will help to keep the algae at bay. Is that correct?
    Yes, that is correct...and a good place to use an algaecide!

It looks like the algaecide at Leslie's is what I need. Is that correct?

Under More Info:

"What is the chemical makeup of Leslie’s Algae Control?
    It is made with a liquid polyquat as the active ingredient, which makes up 60% of Leslie’s Algae Control. It also contains no metal which means so staining or foaming in your pool."

That description sounds like polyquat-60 to me.

Look on the label.....if it says

Poly [oxyethylene 31512-74-0 (dimethyliminio)ethylen e(dimethyliminio)
    ethylene dichloride]

Weight 60%

It's polyquat 60. I can't tell by the photo....but I'd put money says it is.

Ps......that price is high! Check out Amazon....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0030BEI0 ... -1&pi=SL75

Leebo, you are right! My local WMart has the HTH Super Algae Guard which is 60% for $16.47. Thank you guys for the help. You saved me $10 on the bottle and another $10 in gas to get it!

I think you caught me in an incorrect statement. I've never seen HTH poly60. Looking at the msds it looks like they maybe slipping one by.

http://www.whatsinproducts.com//files/b ... 0GUARD.pdf