Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Inline chlorinator not producing chlorine in pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Inline chlorinator not producing chlorine in pool

Hello,

I typically use the trouble free pool method with bleach. However with splash out and heavy rains, my cya level has dropped from 70 to around 25. My pool is chewing through a ton of bleach...maybe 3 or 4 gallons a week. It was much easier to maintain proper chlorine levels when my cya was higher. I have pucks, so I want to use those to raise my cya slowly to 50 or 60.

I have had 8 pucks in my pentair inline chlorinator for about 5 days on level 5. My chlorine level is zero! Do you guys have any insight on how to check for broken parts on my online chlorinator? I really don't want to have to buy a floating feeder.

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

ETA: I'm not terrible concerned with the chlorine level, but I do want to get cya into my pool! My cya test is showing no changes as well.
    17,000 inground gunite pool finished June 2013. Pentair variable speed something or another. Polaris cleaner, inline rainbow chlorinator. Using trichlor until CYA reaches 50-60.

2. Back To Top    #2

Inline chlorinator not producing chlorine in pool

I know nothing about inline chlorinator's. Lol. Why don't you go pick up some granular CYA and add it that way.
    I'd also get some bleach in the pool to raise the FC level up ASAP. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Inline chlorinator not producing chlorine in pool

Good question!

I don't want to drop $40 on cya when I already have it at home...trapped in my half full bucket of chlorine pucks. I do t want to use a floater because about 20 years ago my brother went to the hospital for chlorine inhalation because he was playing with the floating chlorinator. I have three kids and I watch them while they swim, but stuff happens.
    17,000 inground gunite pool finished June 2013. Pentair variable speed something or another. Polaris cleaner, inline rainbow chlorinator. Using trichlor until CYA reaches 50-60.

4. Back To Top    #4

Good answer !!
    Have the pucks dissolved at all in the chlorinator, meaning is there water flowing thru it ?
    What test kit are you using to test FC and CYA with ?
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

How about switching the pucks to your skimmer and leaving the pump on. Doesn't fix the chlorinator but it gets the FC and CYA into the water.

CYA can take up to a week to show up even after the pucks dissolved.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

If the pucks are slowly dissolving and you are showing 0 FC, you might have organics eating it up. The CYA might not show up immediately.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

7. Back To Top    #7

I say drop a couple in the skimmer and tell the rug rats to stay out of it. I did that when we went on vacation just as insurance for my SWG. I was in same boat. Needed some cya as well. It worked well.

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

8. Back To Top    #8

Cool thanks! I put some in my skimmer for now. The pucks in the inline chlorinator have gotten wet and look slightly eroded but not 5 days worth of use. I wonder if there is a blockage at the bottom because it seems like water is entering the top. Hopefully the skimmer trick get some cya and chlorine in the pool.

9. Back To Top    #9

Just make sure your pump is running while they are in there. If you shut the pump off remove them. 😎
    Jeff

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

The other thing to do would be to put some food dye in the chlorinator and see if it gets injected into the pool. If it is plugged up either hit it with a hose to try and push the blockage through or try a vacuum to suck the stuff out of the passage that injects it into the return stream. Might have to use a smaller tube duct taped into the end of the vacuums hose to get something to fit inside the chlorinator.
    I don't have one so I'm not sure what the best way might be.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!