Low/No Chlorine and Low PH w/ green pool

Oct 21, 2011
I have a green pool at the home we just bought. Was full of dark green algea after the filter clogged and the pump didn't prime so it didn't run for several days. Well water, DE Filter (just opened and hosed out), older gunite pool. The pool has to have metal remover put in after it's filled or if you use the pool slide and have it on a lot.

We shocked the water with liquid bleach, over the laste week we have probably dumped about 15 gallons of bleach in it and I never manage to get it to test at above the 1-2 level on the pool test and it says it should be in the 3-4. I've also dumped in about 12lbs of baking soda over the last week and the ph did come up a bit as it was clear and not even showing up on the test originally.

These numbers were from today.

FC .84
TC 1.66
CC .82
PH 6.8
TA 93
CH 276
CYA 48
Copper .1
Iron .2

I think I must still have some algea since I can't keep the chlorine around at all.

I bought borax and added 10lbs to it tonight after using the calculator.

My questions. How often can I add and how long must I wait to test and add more? Can I also be adding chlorine around the same time?

We took our water to the pool store and he said to add ph increaser, waiting 24 hours, adding more, waiting 24 hours then adding two bottles of stain remover. He said to not add any chlorine while working on the ph. Is this true? I'm afraid of another algea bloom. I'm also running my pumps 24 hours a day, should I keep doing this?

Thanks for the advice.

First thing I would do is order a FAS/DPD test kit from tftestkits.net. Also order the XL option. It will give you enough tests if your problem is algae to clear it up.
If you prefer to order it from somewhere else that would be fine too. Google "FAS/DPD test kit".

Second thing is getting the pH to 7.2 which you seem to be attempting.

Third thing is raise the chlorine level to around 5ppm (Pool Math will help you with that) and do an OCLT. Take an FC reading after the sun goes down in the evening, and then the next morning, before the sun comes up, take another FC reading.
If you loose more than 1ppm overnight, then you have organics (more than likely algae) in the water. Chlorine levels will have to be brought up to clear the organics, but it will require a FAS/DPD test kit to do this.

My questions. How often can I add and how long must I wait to test and add more? Can I also be adding chlorine around the same time?

We took our water to the pool store and he said to add ph increaser, waiting 24 hours, adding more, waiting 24 hours then adding two bottles of stain remover. He said to not add any chlorine while working on the ph. Is this true? I'm afraid of another algea bloom. I'm also running my pumps 24 hours a day, should I keep doing this?

If chemicals are in liquid form or pre dissolved in liquid, usually 30 minutes from addition to testing time is sufficient. CYA is the only exception to this rule which takes approx a week to register.
Chlorine can be added at the same time as Borax but do not mix them then add. Add all chemicals separately.

If your pH goes over 10, the pH test is inaccurate, that is why you pH balance the water first.

Your pumps should run 24 hrs a day while fighting organics. Filters should be back washed when they reach 25% over clean pressure. If you feel that filters will clog up while you are not attending pool, set filter to recirculate. Recirculate does not filter but will keep water moving so the chlorine can continue to kill the organics.

Once you get your FAS/DPD test kit, post your current results and we can move forward from there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.