pump lid tightness

hey guys just bought a house and first time pool owner with a swamp. I've been lurking around here a few weeks so once I have the keys in my hand I can get this pool back in order.

I have a Hayward super pump(exact model number has worn off but its the box style with two knobs that tighten down the lid) and wondering how tight the lid should be. The reason I ask this is because I have the two knobs tightened down all the way and the gasket actually looks pretty good but it still has slack in it and I can actually flip the knobs to the side even though they are tightened far as they will go whether the unit is off or running

When the pump is turned on I can hear it sucking air. Im just debating if maybe I should order a new gasket and knew tightening knobs.

The pump basket lid rarely needs to be tight at all. The vacuum from the pump should hold it down just fine.

That said, If you can hear it sucking air AT THAT LOCATION, then a new gasket is in order.

I would simply put a couple of "filler" washers on the bolts (tightening knobs) that hold down the lid.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.