Leaves, bugs, etc, bypass my skimmer!! Why?? Please help!

tbird2340

Jun 3, 2014
Youngstown, OH
So I adjusted my return and I watch innertubes, balls, pool toys, etc go around in a circle so I know the pool is circulating as it should.. I also watch leaves etc go around but never go in the skimmer!! So let's say a leaf is about 1/4 of the way in from the side of the pool.. I will watch it go in circles around the entire pool but basically stay in the same spot..

Any ideas or am I expecting too much?

Thanks

How high is the water level in relation to the top of the skimmer opening? If the water level is too high you won't get a good surface water draw into the skimmer, and debris floats past instead of into the skimmer.

I have the same problem sometimes. I'm thinking about trying one of these skim-eeze's.
cd0bf5aeb80e3b38427cb337fc1dcc74.jpg

A few things to check: Does your skimmer have a weir gate? If yes, is it working and not struck in one position? Is the pump running at an adequate speed to provide enough suction to the skimmer? I was going to try all sorts of gizmos to force all the floaties into the skimmer but the forum advised against spending money, and they were right! A properly adjusted/ working skimmer will keep your pool clean even if you see some floating debris go past it unless you have a tree or something which drops stuff like crazy

PS: If your AG pool has different skimmer configuration from an IG pool, please pardon my inexperience with AG pools and disregard my blabbing :)

I do have a weir gate, however, when I first got my pool I thought that styrofoam was packing and took it out and threw it away! Doh!!

I have since replaced that piece of styrofoam but with a piece of packing foam that gets saturated and weighs it down..

My skimmer is about half way up (water level).. I got good suction and my filter reads 16 psi..

Reactions: charliej
While your pump is running normally, watch the weir gate. It should do a little dance of opening wide-closing a little - opening wide. You will see water "skim" over the edge of the weir along with debris. If not, your weir is not working properly and either you need a lighter styrofoam or check it's hinge mechanism for binding or if the weir is touching the sides of the skimmer cavity causing binding.

Under the skimmer basket you might find something which looks like a flying saucer. From the top it will look like a disk. Turn off the pump and pull it out, make sure you don't loose the O ring. Turn it upside down and you should hear a float rattle. If not it has a leaking or binding float. Also at the bottom of this flying saucer you might find a piece of plastic plate held down with one screw. This plate is used to reduce the flow of the skimmer by swinging it over the hole at the bottom of the flying saucer. Open it all the way if it is closed/ partially closed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I just bought one of those pool skims... The fittings included don't for my return and I'm not sure what I need. Lowes was useless. I got some grumpy old man who didn't want to help me.

It looks like my existing ring on my return is 2" but like I said he was unable to help.

Went to the pool store but they were closed. Any idea what I need?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just spent a year trying to get surface debris to go in my skimmer. I'm about 90% there and can clear the surface in about an hour. FWIW here is what I've learned:

1) To get max surface flow into the skimmer, keep the pool water level as low as possible but not so low that air is entrained into the skimmer valve. I have a suction side pool cleaner and need to maintain a water height of 2 3/4" above the skimmer lip in order to prevent the hose being sucked into the skimmer and setting off the skimmer float valve. If you don't have a hose issue a water height of 1 1/2" should work well.

2) The direction the return jets are aimed is all important to good skimmer action! You want little or no flow from the return jets accross the face of the skimmer so that water flow into the skimmer wins. If you have too much water flow from a return past the skimmer then that flow wins and the surface debris is just swept past the skimmer. In other words you are aiming for a surface flow dead spot in front of the skimmer so that the water being sucked into the skimmer pulls surface debris from a large area around the skimmer.

3) My pool cleaner manual said to aim the return jets downwards, this definitely doesn't work for skimmimg!!! It creates surface dead spots and if, like me you have a return jet opposite your skimmer, the water from the jet hits the bottom of the pool, wells up on the opposite wall right in front of the skimmer, and pushes all surface debris away from the skimmer!

4) Your return jets should all point in the same direction, aimed parallel to the pool walls. so that you achieve clockwise or anticlockwise circulation around the pool. I found it best to have the return jet closest to the skimmer aimed away from the skimmer. I have a jet about 15' from my skimmer and when aimed downwards or towards the skimmer I got very poor action nomatter how much I fooled around with this jet.

5) The rate of circulation can be controlled by the angle of the jets. They should never be higher than horizontal, and as you move them below horizontal the rate of surface circulation will decrease. The last jet in the circulation loop that pushes debris towards the skimmer is very important. The goal is to get enough surface flow such that the debris floats into the dead zone in front of the skimmer and is sucked in, but not so much flow that the debris is swept past the skimmer.

6) I found that a quite slow circulation rate worked best, it allowed debris in the middle of the pool to move into the outer circulation loop, and not be pushed back into the middle.

7) Minute changes in the angle of the jets can make a big difference to surface flow, and it can take the pool a good ten minutes to fully adjust to a change. So only adjust one jet at a time and make very, very small adjustments. Also if you have a pool cleaner hose moving around the surface it too will effect surface flow directions:brickwall: You just have to be patient!!

Hope this helps. :D

Great post! I did similar things two years ago and did not have to buy any gizmos to help the skimmer. Now most of the debris is in the skimmer before it settles to the bottom resulting in lesser need to vacuum, which went down from 2-3 times a week to once a week.

tbird2340: re: Pool Skim. Are you saying that you have a 2" female threaded connection at the return?

The pool stores do have more of a selection of connections, especially threaded ones. Just installed a Pool Skim so am familiar with what came with it. I'll help if I can. BTW - it's been working great.

You might also call them; the phone number is on the website and Jan was helpful when I called.

Thanks Suley, I discovered TFP about six months ago and have learned so much I thought I ought to register and try to give something back. :lovetfp:

I wish I'd thought of it a year ago but it now seems obvious to me that if, for example, the skimmer is sucking water at 15 gpm then the surface cirrculating flow towards the skimmer should be no more than 15 gpm. If the flow is greater than 15 gpm then the extra water just goes past the skimmer and takes the surface debris with it!

My pool is kidney shaped and the return jets are on the inside of the concave curves, so initially I had a big problem with water bouncing off the walls and messing up the circulation flow. Eventually I replaced my small diameter returns with jets that had the largest diameter openings I could find. This reduced the velocity of the water coming out of the jets and solved the bounce problem. To my surprise the larger jets also reduced my pump pressure from 17 to 12 psig and increased pump gpm by about 20%. I lowered my pump rpm to keep the same gpm as before and achieved energy savings of about 10%. :cool:

Wow! That is really fast moving water... Are you sure that you are not gunning the pump? Is it set to about 1.1 water change per day?

Did the pool come with the return that close to the skimmer?

It doesn't look like the pool skim is working properly. Is there another return below the video?

Reactions: NewFLgurl

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.