obstacle in my sand filter

midtngal

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 26, 2007
Nashville, TN
So, I've decided to deep clean my sand filter since 1) it's never been done since I built the pool 6 years ago and 2) I seem to have a pollen problem that I'm having trouble getting rid of. So, when I opened the filter, this is what I saw...

filter.jpg~original

What is this thing and how do I remove it in order to clean the sand?

Also, as far as I could see, it didn't look like there was much sand in there...maybe half full.

sandlevel.jpg~original

Shouldn't there be more sand than this in there?

TIA for your help!

Ummmmm..........I don't see any sand in there at all.
There is some in there, but it's only about half full. Isn't it supposed to be more full than that?

http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/Penta...ter/140249.htm here under resources they have the manual for your filter... It should tell you how to clean out your filter or remove that part if its removable

Thanks Nuvene, but I have my manual and it says nothing about this part. And in the videos I watched on deep cleaning the filter, there was no such part shown so I'm curious what this is and why I have it. That may be the reason my sand doesn't look all that bad, but who knows?

Don't know about a pentair triton sand filter, but I have a SD60 and yes, mine is about 2/3 full and isn't that the cap that is used to center the pipe and keep sand out during filling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

most filters require about 2/3 sand for proper operation. Online manual would probably confirm that.

Thanks Dave. I did go read that link provided by Nuvene and it mentions lbs. of sand per product, but I have no idea how much was put in in the first place, but can certainly eyeball it for adding more.

It also said something about a diffuser, which mine did not. I think that is what this is. That tube that I pulled out has a filter on the end of it like a faucet. I think it is an air diffuser. It did explain that it is turned counter-clockwise to undo. So that is what I will do!

Thanks all!

I have done the deep clean of the sand filter and added a 50 lb bag of sand. Question..is that filter akin to a toilet in that if you tighten it too much it will crack? I'm leery of doing that...done that with a toilet so I know what can happen! But, it's leaking a little from the top of the filter and I have tightened as much as I can by hand plus tapped it a little with a hammer. I'm just a little gun-shy of tightening it too much! Is that a problem? If so, any suggestions to make it stop leaking? I did wrap the top with a little plumber's tape. Should I use pool lube instead?

TIA

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If it's leaking where the handway/dome attaches to the vessel then you should use a little pool lube on the gasket to get it to seat easier. I wouldn't use a 48" pipe wrench on it but it can stand a pretty good amount of force.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.