Pump wont turn on, I'm panicking!

I had a few things come up and was just able to get to it. Now that I did, I noticed there are several points of entry on the motor housing. I want to make sure I'm getting to the right one.

I think n249sxguy touched on it when he said:
Just to clarify, you are removing the back cover from the motor, and not the entire motor from the pump housing, right?

Here is a photo. Should I be going in at the "tail" end, with the electric conduit out of it and the small hex screws? Or into the base where the whole unit is connecting to the filter? I'm guessing the tail end, but just want to be 100% sure about it.

pump 3 copy 2.jpg

Please let me know, thanks!

I took off the metal cap, I've attached a picture here.

P6.jpg

Sorry for poor quality, I had to compress the photo 3 times to get it to be able to upload.

So what am I looking for exactly? Taking off the capacitor (large black cylinder opposite of conduit?) to see if it's clogged or something?

Thanks in advance!

Look to see if the cylinder is bulged or if the contacts are corroded. You may see bulging or corrosion on the sides, near contacts or on the side opposite the contacts. Sometimes you won't see anything at all. Electrolytes can leak out in any weak location of the capacitor over time and may leave staining.

Next time try uploading the picture to a file sharing site, such as photobucket and link it in the post using the link pasted in the "From URL" tab when you click the picture button at the top of the text box. See this tutorial Posting Photos Tutorial

I can't tell a lot about it from that picture. You need to get a photobucket account, and you can post a full size picture. The capacitor should have 2 or 3 wires attached to the top. There is some kind of clamp holding it in. Take it out. Do not touch the contacts on the capacitor. I don't know how much energy pool pump capacitors hold, but it could be enough to deliver a bad shock. Make sure the breaker is off before you do anything. Follow the video that was posted about how to check a capacitor. There should also be a nut on the back end of the motor shaft right in the middle of the motor. I can't see it in the picture, so it may have a cover over it. You need to get to it and use a ratchet to rotate the pump. That will verify that nothing is binding up the pump and keeping it from turning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.