Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pump wont turn on, I'm panicking!

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump wont turn on, I'm panicking!

Hey guys,

My pump won't turn on. No sounds, nada. I checked the breaker and it's fine.

Anyone experience this? Is there a reset button somewhere or something I could try before paying someone to come take a look?

Thanks!
    Pool info: 13K gal, IG plaster, DE filter (Hayward DE6020, 60sqft, 150GPM; based on on-line specs), Hayward Super II Pump, attached IG spa, no auto vacuum.
    Location: Yorba Linda, CA. Avg temp is 75 degrees, hot as heck between May and September (90+).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump wont turn on, I'm panicking!

Does/did the pump feel hot when it was switched on? How old is the pump?

Is the pump on a timer? If so, is the timer working or can you check the voltage output at the timer?

Is there a GFCI outlet on the same circuit? It could be just that a GFCI outlet on the same circuit was tripped. Reset that outlet and it may solve your problem. If the GFCI trips again or will not reset, there is a short in the circuit.

EDIT: Did you flip the breaker off, then back on? Sometimes a breaker that's tripped won't visually appear to be tripped and turning off, then on assures that it is reset.

If it's none of those and it's not very old, I'd disconnect the pump and find an electrician or machine shop in the area and have them evaluate it. It's likely just the motor end of the pump. Can have the dry end (motor) of the pump replaced and only pay for that. Replace the seal between the two while you're at it.
    Last edited by JVTrain; 08-29-2014 at 02:29 PM. Reason: More info on breaker.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

I didn't feel it and can't turn it on to check. It's been working fine since I bought the house a few years ago. Assuming it's the original pump when the pool was put in, its got to be around 5 or 7 years old, which to me doesn't feel that old for a pool pump.

Yes it's on a timer. I'll have to get a voltage meter to check. Is there a way to turn on the pump without the timer to see if that's where the problem is?

I think there is a GFCI on the circuit, but need to go home to double check. I may take some pics and post on here to help.

I'm really hoping I don't need a new pump, I don't feeling like shelling out $3K for a new one.

I'll reply back when I get home on what I see. Thanks so much!
    Pool info: 13K gal, IG plaster, DE filter (Hayward DE6020, 60sqft, 150GPM; based on on-line specs), Hayward Super II Pump, attached IG spa, no auto vacuum.
    Location: Yorba Linda, CA. Avg temp is 75 degrees, hot as heck between May and September (90+).

4. Back To Top    #4

The reason I asked if it was hot was not to see if it was hot while audibly running, it was to see if the motor was siezed. That is, still getting current but not actually turning. If it were seized there may be quiet humming and the motor housing would get hot.

Your timer should have a manual on/off switch. Did you turn that on? Otherwise, you can rewire to bypass the timer, but if you're not comfortable/experienced with that, best not to do it.

GFCI outlet tripping on the same circuit has cost me a $90, 3 minute electrician visit one time. That was enough for me to always check potential outlets on the same circuit.

A 5-7 year old pump is borderline for whether or not to replace the whole pump or just the "dry" end. Being in Southern CA, it probably has run a lot in that time. Replacing the motor only will likely fix the problem, but then you have a 5-7 year old wet end. That's a judgment call whether it's motor only or whole pump if indeed that is the problem.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for all the tips. I went back home and took a look.

It's exactly what you said you when you said:

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    EDIT: Did you flip the breaker off, then back on? Sometimes a breaker that's tripped won't visually appear to be tripped and turning off, then on assures that it is reset.
    After I flipped the breaker back completely and turned it on, there was a loud, out-of-the-ordinary hum that went on for about 5 or 6 seconds then the breaker would trip again. The filter never got going during the hum.

What do you think? Sounds like you touched on that above, but I couldn't follow. Apologies, first time pool owner trying to understand.

Thanks!

6. Back To Top    #6

Is the hum coming from the breaker or from the pump?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

7. Back To Top    #7

From the pump.

8. Back To Top    #8

Sounds like a bad start capacitor. Does the pump have a bulge either on the top or on the back?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months

9. Back To Top    #9

Here are some photos. I know I need to clean up back there and I guess I'll be doing that this weekend since I don't have a working filter!

What does a bad start capacitor mean?

Pump 1.jpg

10. Back To Top    #10

The capacitor is used to get the motor spinning. If the capacitor is bad, the motor won't start up.

I did jump ahead of myself a little bit. The first thing you need to do is make sure the motor shaft spins freely if you try to spin it by hand (this rules out blockage or binding). Can you post a couple of clear pictures of the motor side of the pump (the "other side" from the perspective of your picture above)?
    Last edited by Smykowski; 08-30-2014 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Technical accuracy

11. Back To Top    #11

just to add to smykowski post
    make sure circuit is turned off when you try to turn motor shaft
    if it is a bad capacitor and you give it that initial turn when powered up you may be injured
    SWG inground peanut shaped eco-bright concrete pool
    50,000 litres 13,000 gallons
    Lincoln Salt Chlorinator, 25 gram cell Sand Filter with glass media
    Taylor K2006-C test kit, Taylor K-1766 salt test, Dolphin M500 pool cleaner
    are you taking care of your pool or is the poolshop taking care of you

12. Back To Top    #12

Same thing happen to my pump motor. I called a pool service repair shop. They sent out a technician who diagnosed my problem right away "You need a new motor sir". I told him that I had removed the capacitor guard and found a burned lizard laying across the capacitor terminals. He was quite sure that the lizard did not cause the damage. And again he said that I needed a new motor. I thought about it for a couple of minutes and then said, well lets try replacing the capacitor and if that doesn't work then we can replace the motor. He removed the capacitor and said he didn't think he had a replacement of the same size. He showed me what he had and I decided to try the closest one he had (35 in place of 40). It worked! Later I bought one of the correct size and replaced it. That was a good pool repair experience........................I wish I could say as much about my current pool delima..........as soon as I figure out how to start a new thread I will introduce it.

13. Back To Top    #13

I learned a long time ago that I have to be smarter than the person doing the work. I am happy that you pushed the issue and saved a lot of money.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by aussieta View Post
    just to add to smykowski post
    make sure circuit is turned off when you try to turn motor shaft
    if it is a bad capacitor and you give it that initial turn when powered up you may be injured
    Thanks for adding. For safety's sake, this is absolutely correct.

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks guys. Just so I'm understanding here, I need to remove the part in the back (the motor housing, with the "Hayward" label), from the plastic unit. And make sure my breakers are flipped off before I do it. I'll take a look and see if anything is in there clogging it up. If I can rotate it by hand, it's free, and it's the capacitor (or some other mechanical or electrical issue). If it's clogged, ideally I clean it out, replace, and it kicks back on?

I'm handy around the house and comfortable with tools and DIY home improvement, but the whole pool side is new to me so I want to make sure I understand it all correctly. If there is anyone that can expand (if needed) on what I wrote above, like a "Motor/Capacitor check for dummies", it'd be great (again, if needed). If what I wrote above is on point, or if you have any other takes or other things to consider, please let me know.

I'll open it up tomorrow morning. Any additional tips today would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all the help guys!

16. Back To Top    #16

Everything you wrote is correct. If you search the forum (or Google), there's plenty of info on how to test a capacitor, and how to replace one if that's the problem.

Let us know what you find and how it all goes.

17. Back To Top    #17

There's a you tube video showing how to use an analog multimeter to test one.http://youtu.be/iRt9WYK1wdQ
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

18. Back To Top    #18

Just to clarify, you are removing the back cover from the motor, and not the entire motor from the pump housing, right?
    30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

19. Back To Top    #19

anyway while you are repairing your pump you need to still keep adding your bleach etc
    you will need to mix by hand though, a good pool brushing will help mix
    as long as you keep on top of your chemicals you should not experience any further problems
    might even be worth bumping your FC a little higher than usual
    SWG inground peanut shaped eco-bright concrete pool
    50,000 litres 13,000 gallons
    Lincoln Salt Chlorinator, 25 gram cell Sand Filter with glass media
    Taylor K2006-C test kit, Taylor K-1766 salt test, Dolphin M500 pool cleaner
    are you taking care of your pool or is the poolshop taking care of you

20. Back To Top    #20

What kind of pool vacuum do you have? If it is one of those robotic ones which do not require the pump to be running, you can run the vacuum more to keep the chemicals mixed while the pump is being fixed. That with regular brushing should keep you away from the green monster.
    Suley, West Hills, CA
    IG 23000 Gallons with IG Spa Gunite plaster, Pentair Intelliflo VS 3HP, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 Cartridge filter, Teledyne Laars One series 400,000 BTU Nat Gas Heater, Hayward Max Flo 1HP Single Speed Spa pump, Noisy Spa blower, Dolphin Deluxe 4 robotic vacuum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast