Hotspot FPH AC heat reclamation pool heater - a review!

Wanted to give a late-summer update from MA. FPH pool heater is working great. Without the heater, my pool "wants" to be 78 degrees in the summer. If the pool is colder than that, it quickly goes up in temp. If the pool is hotter than that, it tends to lose heat.

With the pool heater, my pool wants to be 84 degrees. After a cold rainy stretch, it drops to mid 70s. Within a day or two, it is back up to 84. Right now it is 87 and we're loving it. Its also good that the heat is free, because there's no way we could justify keeping the pool that warm if we had a conventional pool heater!

I guess that's at least 3 of us posting here that have an FPH from Hotspot running. I still love mine, very efficient, green and all that. But I wanted to post an update about it, in part to point out what may be obvious, that somewhat complex systems like this can be - well - complicated.

A couple weeks ago I came home to a house that was way too warm. The A/C thermostat was calling for cooling, and the air handler was running. I walked out to the condenser unit and it was not running - no compressor or fan running. Hmmm. Just to round out the info gathering, I decided to see if the FPH was calling for pool heat - and it was. But I noticed my variable speed pool pump was not running. I remembered we had installed a high pressure cut-out for the compressor contactor in case of running in pool heat mode without adequate water flow - so my guess was that the condensor/compressor overheated (over-pressure) and cut out due to the pump not running. I checked the variable speed pump control panel and indeed it had faulted. I reset the controller, the pump started, and when the pressure subsided in the condenser things seemed to be back to normal. I knew I would have to figure out why the pump faulted, but I also hear that this is common for variable speed pumps - for example if flow is restricted (clogging filter, etc) or they lose prime. So I cleaned the filter, checked for flow, all good, still was unsure why this happened. (As an aside - it's not great to over-pressure your compressor, but that cut-out switch saves the compressor earlier than the internal compressor heat overload protection would).

An hour later I happened to hear rapid clicking of relays in the condenser unit. I then looked at the FPH PID control screen, and I could also hear the PID internal relay clicking in and out. The PID display showed rapid and wild swings in displayed temperature, which accounted for the relay clicking in and out. This rapid switching back and forth between water cooled mode and air cooled mode in my condenser was preventing the compressor from ever doing anything useful, and it kept turning on and off the pool pump, forcing it to again fault. After a fair amount of troubleshooting I determined the PID was defective and replaced it.

So this is all fine when I'm around to debug things, but what happens when you're away and you're the only one who understands the system? I guess if I was on the phone with my wife I would have asked her to shut off the FPH (simple switch on the controller) and power cycle the pump controller, then debug when next I could. But if you call the average A/C repair folks, I doubt they will find it quickly, if at all, and it might get expensive in the process. Most pool services would be in further distress in my experience. This all might be an argument to find some professional to oversee the entire installation, so that would be the initial point of contact. Perhaps a home automation company, not sure. In my case, as others have indicated, I had to do a lot just to train my A/C folks on how to set up the refrigeration side - then I did the pool control integration and plumbing. Maybe this is just the same peril we all face when in DIY mode, especially on more complex systems :)

On a semi-related matter, especially for anyone building their own system like this, I identified at least three different controllers that can work with this system, as follows:
- The original TET612 PID (about $37), and there are dozens of very similar products. I have this one in my FPH control enclosure outside. One example at: Dual Digital F C PID Temperature Control Controller | eBay

- The smaller XMT7100 ($22) - I use this one inside the house on a wall plate I customized (pictured), one example at: XMT7100 Digital Intelligent PID Temperature Controller Red Screen | eBay
(PIDs can be confusing to set up, even when used in a very simple use case like this. In order to use the XMt7100 which only offers normally open relay contacts, you have to set it to "Control mode 3" ("One Line Relay Output"), set also to "heat mode" and then set "AH" to lower temp limit and "AL" to upper temp limit (yes reverse of what you would think). There may be other setting combos that work, I tried many, this took me forever to figure out)

- A simpler and more user friendly one called a "Fahrenheit 110V Temperature F Controller Temp Sensor incubation thermostat Relay" ($14). This one I bench tested but have not yet installed. Upside is that it has tenths of a degree readout and far simpler to set up and change, downside is it's a little wider and would require enclosure mods to mount in the FPH controller enclosure. Example at: Fahrenheit 110V Temperature F Controller Temp Sensor Incubation Thermostat Relay | eBay

About the water temperature sensors fyi.... The first aforementioned PID controllers generally come with PT100 sensors - thin cylinders encased in a sealed plastic tube. The PID's also offer support of at least ten other types of thermocouples / sensors, but I never got it to work with any "standard / sold pool pipe-mounted sensors" - mostly I think because the sensors are sold to be matched with their controllers and they don't state the technology used in the actual sensor (eg K type thermocouple, T type, PT-100 thermo resistor, etc). So I tried all or nearly all PID option settings against a couple standard sensors to no avail - I only got it to work with a PT100. Write to me if you want advice on how to mount a PT100 to a pipe for reliable sensing. It can be tricky especially if you use a variable speed pump that does not fill the pipe with water. And I learned the hard way (oh my, the hours spent) that the sensor must be all the way in the pipe, in full contact with water, versus having just the tip or even the first half of it in the water. I'll try to post about that with pictures.

Have fun - I need to spend more time IN the water - LOL. ... Joe
XMT7100-2.jpg

You guys have been providing some great information about the hotspot fhp for my pool. This is my 1st pool and I am seriously thinking about this option. My pool is in a shaded area. I was concerned about the distance the water would travel but was advised it was ok. I will keep you all informed and keep us informed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

This technology is commonly utilized in commercial and industrial settings. The device itself is called a desuperheater. commonly used to heat water using the excess heat generated by walk in coolers and freezers. Also routinely used to cool or refrigerate ships.

Mitsubishi and Daikin sell condensing units with integrated desuperheater. At the prices listed replacing the condensing unit might be more cost effective.

This technology is commonly utilized in commercial and industrial settings. The device itself is called a desuperheater. commonly used to heat water using the excess heat generated by walk in coolers and freezers. Also routinely used to cool or refrigerate ships.

Mitsubishi and Daikin sell condensing units with integrated desuperheater. At the prices listed replacing the condensing unit might be more cost effective.
Would you happen to have any model numbers? I am trying to find more info online.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I walked out to the condenser unit and it was not running - no compressor or fan running.

Glad your high-pressure safety cutout is working. Had this idea: a lower setting pressure switch could switch the system back to air cooled.

A flow switch in the water piping could also keep the air condenser in the circuit and run the condenser fan.

With either of these approaches, if the pool pump trips the breaker, the system will cahnge back to air cooled and the house will stay comfortable.

Good ideas Eric, thanks, keep em coming! Although it would be great to use flow or even minimum flow rate as additional controls, doing so does present some conundrums of logic. Consider first a system at rest with pump off when FPH calls for pool heat. With no flow at that startup point in time, perhaps the system would never enter pool heat mode by never allowing the refrigeration relays to go into water cooled mode - unless one inserted delay or other creative relay logic. In my system, that logic problem is compounded by the logic of my variable speed pump controller. Any time FPH calls for pool heat, contact closures tell my pump to run a certain speed. And whenever that happens, if my pump had already been running, the variable speed pump controller shuts the pump off for a few seconds before re-starting at the new speed. That re-start process would create a no flow condition and stop, then re-start, the water cooled mode. I've often wondered how tolerant my condenser unit is for switching in and out of water cooled mode more frequently. Fun stuff.

Good ideas Eric, thanks, keep em coming! Although it would be great to use flow or even minimum flow rate as additional controls, doing so does present some conundrums of logic.

You answered your own question. A time delay circuit will account for pump start-up time or pump speed changes. A start-up time delay could make sure that the water is flowing before closing the compressor contactor and deciding whether to power the valve to heat water or leave it unpowered and use the outdoor coils and power the outdoor fan.

NOTE: While very familiar with heat pumps and their operation, and knowing how to read refrigerant and electric schematics, I am NOT a heat pump technician.

Another advantage to a flow meter is that you could monitor flow and temperature differential and calculate energy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A time delay circuit will account for pump start-up time or pump speed changes. A start-up time delay could make sure that the water is flowing before closing the compressor contactor and deciding whether to power the valve to heat water or leave it unpowered and use the outdoor coils and power the outdoor fan.

My FPH controller unit has this exact thing. Maybe its part of a newer design.

I took the plunge and am installing the Hotspot FPH and a new air conditioner at the same time. The AC techs just came to my house yesterday to look at all the equipment and review the installation guides. There seems to be quite a few things that are "field provided". Meaning someone has to go buy them. Having new AC unit moved about 20 feet from pool shed so my water runs shouldn't be too long. I have a shady pool that I estimate is about 15,000 gallons. Live in Michigan and last year had roughly 2 days the pool got to 80. I know I should have a solar cover but I hate them. Hoping this can keep my pool useable during the summer months without a stupid cover. I will update what looks to be a complicated install process once more has happened. I will also uploads some pictures if this site allows it. This thread was helpful and convinced me to give it a try.

This is all really interesting and exciting. My A/C is right next to my pool, *but* the pump equipment is on the opposite side of the pool. Does Hotspot have any thoughts on simply installing a small pump and water lines directly to it?

We are installing the Hotspot FPH AC now. When we put in a new heater/ac unit last year we were able to get the company that we bought it from interested in the unit,they agreed to install the AC part for free. They finished it up late summer so we never finished the installation and are now trying to get the electrical hooked up. Pool pump went out last week so having a new pump installed tomorrow and hope to get the tec interested in the unit. Our pool equipment sits right next to the AC unit (6-8 feet) perfect placement.

I am really intrigued. My A/C Unit is about 4' to the right of my pump and the existing gas pool heater is 4' to the left of my pump. Given that in the Chicago area our pool usage coincides pretty well with our A/C usage this seems like a useful solution.

Does anyone run the FPH with automation? I have a Pentair VSP pump, and Hotspot said the FPH must control the pump via the automation port, so my Intermattic z-wave system won't be able to control it. I would love to hear if anyone uses this thing with automation.
I'm looking at buying a separate pump for the FPH and circulation, but don't know how I would plumb two pumps.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

This review and watching the “This Old House Video” convinced me to purchase a Hotspot heat exchanger. I am installing central air this year and it seemed like the perfect time to also install a Hotspot heat exchanger. Using “free” waste AC heat to warm a cold pool seems like a no-brainer.

So far I have found the Hotpot tech support to be helpful. This makes up for a lack of some important details not included in Hotspot’s installation manual. As others have mentioned, there are many required parts and components not included with the basic kit from Hotspot that I needed to buy separately because it is really a custom match of the Hotspot system to both my central air and pool pump. My Hotspot system will interface with a new conventional central air system (recommended by Hotspot) and an existing variable speed Hayward super pump. In my setup, the heat exchanger needs to be placed 160 ft from the pool pump, and is connected with a new loop of buried 2 in. pvc pipe.

Since I am in the process of hooking up the system, I am looking for any photos of completed installations. If you can share, and this site allows, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

I've put up an album with a few photos of our installation. You can find them here:

Hotspot FPH build - Album on Imgur

We dug a trench to bury the water lines running from the pump that go to the blue canister heat exchanger. The heat exchanger and the controller unit we hid behind our existing air conditioner unit, making the install virtually invisible. Hope these help.

I finally got my FPH heater up and running. The install was rough because the AC people I paid to install a new AC unit and the FPH didn't understand the FPH. I ended up hiring an electrician I know and him reading over the manual and talking to tech support was all it took. With someone knowledgeable and committed to making it work things went fast. The heater has been up for 5 days now. It has been a warm stretch in the mid 80s in Michigan with nights in the 60s. I have had my AC turned to 68 because I like a cool house and wanted to heat the pool. Current pool temp is 86. My pool only reached 82 twice last year on the hottest stretch. It is super early but so far I am declaring success. I will post pictures and more results as the season goes on. Even though it turned out to be way more expensive than I thought I am still glad I did it. I can crank the AC to 67 and feel good about leaving it cold all day while I am away because it is heating the pool. My wife is freezing unless the pool is 85 so this will make our pool time much more fun even if it is only during the really warm summer months. Last year she never wanted to go into the pool. With all the work and cost that goes into a pool there is nothing worse than it never getting used.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.