Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: salt corrosion on above ground pools

1. Back To Top    #1

Southeast Missouri

salt corrosion on above ground pools

We moved into a house that had an AG pool 5 years ago and I installed a SWG 4 years ago and love it. The pool is 8 years old. This year, the steel top rail had rusted all the way through and I need to replace the pool.

After talking to 3 pool supply stores, most of them said they don't carry pools that are made for salt or that it would void the warranty. I did notice one that had resin top rails. Can anyone tell me if they have had this same experience and maybe the brands or types of AG that are compatible with salt? Thanks.
    Dave in Sikeston, Mo.
    27' AG, 16K, vinyl, 1.5 HP pump, Pentair Meteor sand filter, Hayward Aqua Rite 25K SWG, Pentair E-Z Vac cleaner, TF100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

NW Indiana

Re: salt corrosion on above ground pools

I was looking in the forum about using salt in an above ground pool to change the feel of the water and came across this message. When I bought my new pool a month ago we were told that although newer pool designs include all resin parts they're still don't recommend swg and that warranty will be void if used.I still wonder if a one time application of salt to bring the salt content up will have lasting effects.
    19K gal AG. 200 Swimpro Element Filter. 2HP, Dual Speed Voyager. TF-100.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Re: salt corrosion on above ground pools

Sharkline Matrix is the only one I am aware of that is salt friendly
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics