Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Liner installed over old jet - what to do?

1. Back To Top    #1

Liner installed over old jet - what to do?

Hello everyone,

I have an old inground pool that we inherited with a home purchase last year. We love the pool and have crystal clear water thanks to the information gained here.

The previous owner had a new liner installed presumably to prepare the house for sale in May of last year. I had the pool inspected and the pool guy said whoever installed the liner did a pretty good job considering the condition of the walls and age of the pool. It is perfectly straight with no wrinkles. At the same time though whoever installed the liner went right over a few rocks and did not use any foam behind the liner.
    Anyways they also went over an old jet that I can only assume leaked at some point underground since it used the old "black" pipe used in the 70's. My question is why would they go over the jet with the liner? Wouldn't it be better to install the liner as if this jet worked and then put a winterizing plug (screw on type) in there? Is retro fitting this a DIY?
    At this point should I leave this alone or remove and plug. My worry is as the liner ages and becomes more brittle this is a site for a potential tear.

Please see the pic and thanks in advance for the help
    Attached Images Attached Images
    16 X 32 wooden frame with aluminum braces in ground pool. 3.6ft shallow end, 8.5ft deep end. 22,000 gallons. Pool constructed in 1976 in Chicago area. Mechanics: 1HP hayward super pump, Jaccuzi sand filter, Hayward SWG, and Raypak 2100 heater. No main drain (capped years ago) 3 jets, 1 skimmer. Liner replaced May 2013.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Liner installed over old jet - what to do?

I'd leave it as is for now...if the liner tears, then you'll just get a new one and clean up the old mess then. It seems like it would have been better just to remove the jet and install foam over it, but at this point you're kinda stuck.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

What I have done in the past is go buy a $15 piece of sheet stainless steel from Lowes and put it over the hole. That way it's at least has a hard surface behind it so nothing can puncture it or risk of it ripping. I usually just duck tape it with some strong tape.
    Jacob Zaluski, Owner
    True Blue Pools LLC. Lexington, KY
    Service Center for Hayward Pool Products

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by uncfan1573 View Post
    What I have done in the past is go buy a $15 piece of sheet stainless steel from Lowes and put it over the hole. That way it's at least has a hard surface behind it so nothing can puncture it or risk of it ripping. I usually just duck tape it with some strong tape.
    Smart man.
    20,000 Gallons Vinyl 16x32 Inground with Stamped concrete decking. Hayward Sand Filter. DIY Diaphragm pump injection system. K-2006C Test Kit.
    450 Gallons Standalone Acrylic CALSPA 2006.
    Canadians, Get your test kit here!.

5. Back To Top    #5

Great idea but his still has the fitting in it.

OP - you wouldn't be able to do this idea without first removing the fitting entirely. And to do that you'll have to be on the outside of the pool wall.

(I just fixed my leaking return so I know all too well how the fittings go together)

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

No I never take them out. Just get a 2'2' square and should cover it pretty easy
    Or if it's just a little pvc sticking out take a sawzall and cut as much off as you can. Or even a angle grinder
    Jacob Zaluski, Owner
    True Blue Pools LLC. Lexington, KY
    Service Center for Hayward Pool Products

7. Back To Top    #7

No I never take them out. Just get a 2'2' square and should cover it pretty easy
    Or if it's just a little pvc sticking out take a sawzall and cut as much off as you can. Or even a angle grinder
    That's true. If its an old line anyways who cares about grinding it off!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by CancerJCC View Post
    That's true. If its an old line anyways who cares about grinding it off!
    Yep, angle grinder and duct tape.

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois