Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sparkling clear water?

1. Back To Top    #1

Sparkling clear water?

This is probably going to be a stupid question, but....

I read a lot of posts that say things like sparkling clear water. Wondering if there are pictures that shows what that really is? I "think" I have sparkling clear water as it shimmers when it moves gently in the sun, it reflects the sun on the bottom of the pool, it makes you shield your eyes when the sun hits it and reflects, etc.

But I still have problems with my pool with the growth on the walls, powder everywhere, and the splotches on the plaster, so maybe I have no clue what sparkling water is really supposed to look like?

I have a friend who says he can tell by looking at the water if there are any problems. Short of green or other color stuff, I don't understand how you could do that and know what to do. To my eyes, water looks like...well, water...

On a side note, I see posts that refer to the BBB method of pool care and was wondering what that stood for.
    Central TX / 12K GAL / IG / SWG / DE filter / Pentair SVRS & 3 swim jet pumps / Spa bench and jets / Single body of water / No heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sparkling clear water?

Quote Originally Posted by eqbob View Post
    This is probably going to be a stupid question, but....

I read a lot of posts that say things like sparkling clear water. Wondering if there are pictures that shows what that really is? I "think" I have sparkling clear water as it shimmers when it moves gently in the sun, it reflects the sun on the bottom of the pool, it makes you shield your eyes when the sun hits it and reflects, etc.

But I still have problems with my pool with the growth on the walls, powder everywhere, and the splotches on the plaster, so maybe I have no clue what sparkling water is really supposed to look like?

I have a friend who says he can tell by looking at the water if there are any problems. Short of green or other color stuff, I don't understand how you could do that and know what to do. To my eyes, water looks like...well, water...

On a side note, I see posts that refer to the BBB method of pool care and was wondering what that stood for.
    BBB is a previous term that has been replaced with TFPC or Trouble-Free Pool Care. The change was done for clarity. What it boils down to is knowledge. Knowing what is going on in your water and knowing what effects the chemicals you add will have. Read the specifics at What is Trouble Free Pool Care?

Water that has algae and other stuff in it has a characteristic dullness. It isn't really dull, but it is dull compared to a truly clean pool. The best way I can describe it is the difference between cut glass and a diamond in the light. Both shine, but the diamond puts the glass to shame. It would be hard to show in a picture, but it can actually fool you into thinking the pool is empty. You'll know it when you see it.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Search the forum for sparklypoolitis and you find members showing off their sparkly pools (including me).
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

thank you. I found some beautiful pictures, especially in this thread. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...YPOOLITIS-quot

I would say most of the time, mine looks like that. Despite having problems which members are trying to help with on another thread.
    Central TX / 12K GAL / IG / SWG / DE filter / Pentair SVRS & 3 swim jet pumps / Spa bench and jets / Single body of water / No heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

Water is crystal clear, no haze, vivid blue/no green.

Sparklypoolitis:

17,000 inground gunite pool finished June 2013. Pentair variable speed something or another. Polaris cleaner, inline rainbow chlorinator. Using trichlor until CYA reaches 50-60.

6. Back To Top    #6

After heavy rains, less sparkle and hottub is kind of green.

17,000 inground gunite pool finished June 2013. Pentair variable speed something or another. Polaris cleaner, inline rainbow chlorinator. Using trichlor until CYA reaches 50-60.

7. Back To Top    #7

I would say if you can see whether the screws are flat head or phillip head on the drain cover, your pool is clear. That's what I go by.
    23,000 gal IG Plaster 1989
    Purex Triton FNS Plus DE Filter Model FSNP 60
    1 Hp pump, Polaris 380 w/booster pump
    700 Gal Spa
    Laars Lite Heater T-F 100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

This kind of pool makes me happy:image.jpg
    17.5 K gallons (16x32) vinyl inground pool with 1 hp pump and an old Triton sand filter. >20 years old. New 2015 Rheem gas heater. TF-100 Test kit. Little red robot and a Pool Blaster Max.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomfield View Post
    I would say if you can see whether the screws are flat head or phillip head on the drain cover, your pool is clear. That's what I go by.
    That's an interesting one.... My eyes aren't anywhere near good enough to see that through space much less water...lol