I'll cut to the chase, but I'm happy to answer any questions. My grandmother's pool has been green for over a month. Pool store has dumped a ridiculous amount of chemicals in. I know they were putting in liquid chlorine (I'm assuming shock) and I saw tubs of powder chlorine there as well. I went to a different pool store and got an AquaChek test kit - (before I saw what TFPC recommends.) Here's the results:
Free CL 10
Total Alkalinity 180
My quick take on this is that with the stabilizer sky high that there is no way the chlorine is ever going to work. It's late in the season here in Milwaukee, so I'm not sure how much it's worth putting into the pool. I'm thinking we have no more than a month, especially with the kids back in school.
I did (before I saw what TFPC recommends) get some poly-quat 60 and 4 boxes of liquid chlorine shock.
My questions are - is it worth me tackling this now? Is the stabilizer so high that we're going to have to drain the pool? Is it worth throwing the polyquat and shock in? (They recommended brushing, then polyquat, then all 4 boxes of liquid shock, then turn the filter off for 2 days and then vacuum).
Pool size is 30,000 gal
Test kit is currently an aquachek - I'd get something better next time.
I think it's not a variable speed pump
Pool is 35+ years old and has steel walls and concrete floor behind the liner.
The liner covered the floor drain, so it just uses the skimmer.