Switching to having borates.....

Jun 1, 2008
NW MO
You all have me intrigued with the borates in the pool. I have a few questions though.

We are going out of town soon and I was thinking of getting it going before we leave, however I cannot find a borate test kit/strips anywhere - not even when I do a google search for them. I can find the wholesaler, but not a retailer. Even if I did, I am not sure I would get them before we leave town. Where do you buy them from?

My TA has been running 170. I think that is a little high, but I don't have the time to use the muriatic acid/aeration trick to lower the TA right away. How big a deal would it be to add the borate/muriatic acid combination and then worry about lowering the TA later?

We have a relatively short swimming season - at least at the temperatures I am comfortable with. We are usually done in early September - if we get any swimming in then. We do have to winterize and drain a bunch of water. Since it is so late in our season, would we be better off to wait until spring opening and add the borates?

Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.