Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Switching to having borates.....

1. Back To Top    #1

NW MO

Switching to having borates.....

You all have me intrigued with the borates in the pool. I have a few questions though.

We are going out of town soon and I was thinking of getting it going before we leave, however I cannot find a borate test kit/strips anywhere - not even when I do a google search for them. I can find the wholesaler, but not a retailer. Even if I did, I am not sure I would get them before we leave town. Where do you buy them from?

My TA has been running 170. I think that is a little high, but I don't have the time to use the muriatic acid/aeration trick to lower the TA right away. How big a deal would it be to add the borate/muriatic acid combination and then worry about lowering the TA later?

We have a relatively short swimming season - at least at the temperatures I am comfortable with. We are usually done in early September - if we get any swimming in then. We do have to winterize and drain a bunch of water. Since it is so late in our season, would we be better off to wait until spring opening and add the borates?

24ft AGP 52in deep ~13,500 gal
    Hayward Sand Filter 250 lbs
    1.5 HP pump

425 gal stand alone QCA Hot Tub 15-20 yrs old

2. Back To Top    #2
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL

Re: Switching to having borates.....

IMHO, I would wait. When you open in the spring, tackle the TA then the borates. The fresh water replacement will throw everything off anyway, if you do it now.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Switching to having borates.....

You can get the LaMotte borate strips from

They have good prices and ship fast.