Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Booster or New Primary Pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Concord, CA

New Booster or New Primary Pump

I'm new to the forums, and new pool owner of an old pool with issues. Had the pool replastered last month and ran the pump 24/7 all month to remove the plaster dust, and because the pool gets a lot of debris from nearby trees and the main drain is capped. This turned out to be a costly decision. Bought "The Pool Cleaner" and the booster pump died the day it arrived. The question is, do I buy a new booster pump to run the cleaner, or replace the primary pump with a higher HP VS pump and take the booster out of the equation? The primary pump is an Emerson 1HP/1.65SF. It runs The Pool Cleaner by itself at about 7 RPM's as opposed to the recommended 11 RPM. There's a dedicated line for the vacuum. Thanks for the input.
    35K gal IG 20x40 plaster pool, Emerson 1HP pump, MagneTek 3/4HP Booster pump(not working), Purex Triton FNSP 60 DE filter, PoolMaster TK, The Pool Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana

Re: New Booster or New Primary Pump

Welcome to TFP!

I'd recommend a new booster pump. With a lot of debris, you can have the cleaner running and the skimmer working at the same time that way.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat