Iron & Copper Levels

acgibson

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 26, 2014
Olney / IL
I have a new fiberglass pool, which from what I have read on the forums it seems that this type of pool is more susceptible to metal staining. I also have a well that I use to refill evaporated water from the pool.

The readings directly from the tap at the well are Iron 0.2ppm and Copper 0.2ppm, and the readings from another faucet that I usually fill with are Iron 0.1ppm and Copper 0.1ppm.

My readings from the pool have been consistent at 0.1 for iron and copper for the last several weeks, but the water was trucked in from city water for the initial fill up.

So should I try to get these readings to 0, or is 0.1-0.2 nothing to worry about? If I need to use a metal sequestrant, what product would you all recommend (whatever works best, not worried about pinching pennies)? Any other advice would be great! If these levels are not worth worrying about, then when do you start worrying with fiberglass?

I think 0.2 is borderline with Iron and copper, but honestly not certain. I think if you don't let it build up too much, you'll be alright. I'd try to keep it below 0.5, but someone will be along that may answer you better.

So what is the best product to get rid of it. This morning my pool readings were Copper 0.2 and Iron 0.1. I had to add about 1 foot of new water from draining to pull cya and salt levels down. Morning readings after refill were

FC 5.96
TC 5.96
pH 7.7
TA 134
CH 118
CYA 70
Copper 0.2
Iron 0.1
Salt 3500
Borate 32

I am currently trying to get TA down, my well has a very high TA (270+) and will be adding CH later today

I just took another test and my iron count jumped to 1.1! Is that even possible? Maybe it was a test glitch. I added some Hardness increaser just after I took sample, so I'll wait a little while to retest. Sounds like I need to at least get some kind of sequestrant ordered to at least have on hand when someone more informed than I can recommend something.

Well the 1.1 iron must have been a fluke, thank god! Both iron and copper are sitting @ 0.2. Is this worth fighting? I ordered some jacks magic purple stuff and some Culator packs to try. I'm just paranoid about my shiny new fiberglass pool!

I'm no expert. I do have a metal problem in my pool and I have found that the Hth metal control (cheeper stuff from Walmart) works as well as anything else we have tried. I poke a small hole in the top seal and go around the whole perimeter of the pool, directly on the wall. It takes care of any stains but it seems to use up some FC and PH. I use it every other week but I don't have a way to test my levels regularly.

I'm no expert. I do have a metal problem in my pool and I have found that the Hth metal control (cheeper stuff from Walmart) works as well as anything else we have tried. I poke a small hole in the top seal and go around the whole perimeter of the pool, directly on the wall. It takes care of any stains but it seems to use up some FC and PH. I use it every other week but I don't have a way to test my levels regularly.
What is the source of your metal? Just curious.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Just keep the pH a little lower (7.4?) because at lower pH there is little risk of staining. A copper concentration under 0.5 seems to be safe anyway, therefore in my opinion it is not worth the effort to get rid of these metals at this low concentration. Still, sometimes it is better to spend the money and have a better night sleep as the pH might accidentally rise to 8 or more. Your call.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.