Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Iron & Copper Levels

1. Back To Top    #1

Iron & Copper Levels

I have a new fiberglass pool, which from what I have read on the forums it seems that this type of pool is more susceptible to metal staining. I also have a well that I use to refill evaporated water from the pool.

The readings directly from the tap at the well are Iron 0.2ppm and Copper 0.2ppm, and the readings from another faucet that I usually fill with are Iron 0.1ppm and Copper 0.1ppm.

My readings from the pool have been consistent at 0.1 for iron and copper for the last several weeks, but the water was trucked in from city water for the initial fill up.

So should I try to get these readings to 0, or is 0.1-0.2 nothing to worry about? If I need to use a metal sequestrant, what product would you all recommend (whatever works best, not worried about pinching pennies)? Any other advice would be great! If these levels are not worth worrying about, then when do you start worrying with fiberglass?
    18,900gal Viking 16'x40' Fiberglass In-Ground Pool w/ Cover Pool Auto Cover.
    WhisperFlo WF-24; Clean & Clear RP 150 Cartridge Filter; UltraTemp Heat Pump; IntelliChlor IC40 w/ IntelliPh Acid Pump;
    Easytouch Panel w/Screen Logic. Kreepy Krauly 820 Robot.
    LaMotte WaterLink Mobile Spin Lab & TF100/K2006 w/ Speed Stir.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Iron & Copper Levels

I think 0.2 is borderline with Iron and copper, but honestly not certain. I think if you don't let it build up too much, you'll be alright. I'd try to keep it below 0.5, but someone will be along that may answer you better.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

So what is the best product to get rid of it. This morning my pool readings were Copper 0.2 and Iron 0.1. I had to add about 1 foot of new water from draining to pull cya and salt levels down. Morning readings after refill were

FC 5.96
    TC 5.96
    pH 7.7
    TA 134
    CH 118
    CYA 70
    Copper 0.2
    Iron 0.1
    Salt 3500
    Borate 32

I am currently trying to get TA down, my well has a very high TA (270+) and will be adding CH later today
    WhisperFlo WF-24; Clean & Clear RP 150 Cartridge Filter; UltraTemp Heat Pump; IntelliChlor IC40 w/ IntelliPh Acid Pump;

4. Back To Top    #4

I just took another test and my iron count jumped to 1.1! Is that even possible? Maybe it was a test glitch. I added some Hardness increaser just after I took sample, so I'll wait a little while to retest. Sounds like I need to at least get some kind of sequestrant ordered to at least have on hand when someone more informed than I can recommend something.

5. Back To Top    #5

Well the 1.1 iron must have been a fluke, thank god! Both iron and copper are sitting @ 0.2. Is this worth fighting? I ordered some jacks magic purple stuff and some Culator packs to try. I'm just paranoid about my shiny new fiberglass pool!

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm no expert. I do have a metal problem in my pool and I have found that the Hth metal control (cheeper stuff from Walmart) works as well as anything else we have tried. I poke a small hole in the top seal and go around the whole perimeter of the pool, directly on the wall. It takes care of any stains but it seems to use up some FC and PH. I use it every other week but I don't have a way to test my levels regularly.
    22K inground, vinyl liner, Hayward super pump, Pentair DE filter, Raypak gas heater, Polaris cleaner with boster pump, Olimpic chlorinator, Coverpools automatic cover, and Taylor test kit, pool built in the 70's liner replaced in 2008. I have no idea how old any of the equipment is.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterysrider View Post
    I'm no expert. I do have a metal problem in my pool and I have found that the Hth metal control (cheeper stuff from Walmart) works as well as anything else we have tried. I poke a small hole in the top seal and go around the whole perimeter of the pool, directly on the wall. It takes care of any stains but it seems to use up some FC and PH. I use it every other week but I don't have a way to test my levels regularly.
    What is the source of your metal? Just curious.

13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Jandy Automation /w IAqualink
    Autopilot SWG
    Jandy 2.0 HP VSP, Filter Cartridge
    Taylor (FAS-DPD K-2600, Pool Surface: Plaster

8. Back To Top    #8

Just keep the pH a little lower (7.4?) because at lower pH there is little risk of staining. A copper concentration under 0.5 seems to be safe anyway, therefore in my opinion it is not worth the effort to get rid of these metals at this low concentration. Still, sometimes it is better to spend the money and have a better night sleep as the pH might accidentally rise to 8 or more. Your call.
    South of France inground rectangular 17k pool - ruber membrane. Sliding dome, black thermal blanket covering 75% of the pool surface. Aqualux 3/4Hp pump, glass media sand filter, Zodillac robot, 110W UV-c lamp, Hayward brominator, Caliente 12kW heat pump.