Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Better to drain water from top of bottom

1. Back To Top    #1

Better to drain water from top of bottom

OK, this sounds silly I know, but curiosity has bit me so throwing a hypothetical question out there. Say you need to drain your pool a bit for whatever reason, are there any advantages or disadvantages to either draining the water from the bottom vs. more from the top?

As I'm SLAM'ing and sitting outside staring at my pool enjoying the weather, I thought well the drain plug is toward the bottom, but the skimmer basket for the filter only pulls water in from the top surface, so i wonder if one is better than the other if you have to drain your pool a bit to replace some water due to whatever reason.
    Intex 16x48 UltraFrame AGP, included filter pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Better to drain water from top of bottom

Depends.
    If you are just draining and then starting to refill, then it does not matter.
    If you are trying to drain and fill at the same time (due to ground water or heat/sun issues) to try to lower CYA for example, then you want to fill with the colder heavier water at the bottom and drain the warmer water from the top so that there is less mixing and more efficient water replacement.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, i figured there was probably some situations where one was better over the other. So sounds like if you're trying to clear out chemicals like cya, it's better to drain existing water off the top while you fill with the ice cold water with your hose at the bottom of the pool. Makes sense.

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, cold tap water is relative. I often take showers in the summer with the water on full cold and is it still not as cool and refreshing as I would like ... although still colder than the pool water
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

haha, right. although that might be warmer than my pool water if these clouds don't go away