Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar cover on or off when SLAM'ing

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar cover on or off when SLAM'ing

When SLAM'ing a pool, is it better to leave the solar cover on or off, or does it not really matter?
    Intex 16x48 UltraFrame AGP, included filter pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar cover on or off when SLAM'ing

I always leave it off whenever I have higher chlorine. I think it helps the pool "breath.
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

3. Back To Top    #3

You can leave it on for some of the time. Like at night to retain heat. But, it is good to let the sun in to help burn off the CC that are developing while you are fighting the nasties. Plus having it on some will help kill anything that might be on the cover.

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok thanks guys. Was wondering.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by rj2222 View Post
    When SLAM'ing a pool, is it better to leave the solar cover on or off, or does it not really matter?
    The high FC during a SLAM process can deteriorate your solar cover. Personally, I'd leave it off while SLAMming.
    19,500 gal, 16' x 38' PebbleTec IG Pool, Built 4/2013; Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3050 3 HP Pump, Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Pentair IntellipH, Pentair 520 sq ft/150 GPM Cartridge Filter, A&A In-Floor Cleaner, Dolphin Nautilus Plus Robot (aka "Robbie"), Pentair EasyTouch Power Panel w/ Quick Touch 4 Remote Control, Autelis WiFi controller, Clear 12 mil Solar Cover on Presto SS Reel, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

That's a good point, never thought of what it might do to the cover itself. Thanks.

7. Back To Top    #7

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you!!!

The cover will only last 1-2 years anyway ... and the active chlorine level still is not very high ... if it retains heat at night so that you can swim more this season, I would use the cover.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

At some point he cover will need to be exposed to the high CL level or scrubbed with bleach water to kill off any algae, if it was exposed to the algae. Otherwise it may reintroduce algae spores and eat up your free chlorine if you use it after the SLAM is done.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

9. Back To Top    #9

I took mine off for now, and had it on all last night, so i'd hope it would be clean or on it's way to being clean. I'll throw it back on tonight to help keep some warmth in.

And add my location J

10. Back To Top    #10

I have a related question, about exposing the solar cover itself to the higher chlorine levels during SLAM... Would it be advisable to flip the cover over during some of the time you use it during SLAM, in order to kill the stuff that might be growing on the top surface? I notice that parts of the top of our cover get sort of grungy (areas that stay damp during the time the cover is off the pool), and I've wondered if that might help reintroduce unwanted organisms (e.g. algae) into the pool.

For people with big solar covers, and mechanical assistance in rolling them, I see that wouldn't be a viable option. However, for a smaller pool, flipping the cover is simple enough -- is it a good idea?
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

11. Back To Top    #11

I usually just spot scrub the top of mine when needed, to keep the nasties out of the pool water if it were to ever rinse in