Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School

Thread: Need help with how to add stabilizer and calcium chloride

Need help with how to add stabilizer and calcium chloride

Hi all,

I'm yet another lurker who has been reading and trying to absorb all of your helpful info. We had a major downfall of rain here in south AL and I'm trying to correct my chemistry. To be honest, my numbers were a little off before the storm; now things are worse. After checking with my TF-100, here are the results:

FC 3
    TC 3
    pH 8.2
    TA 100
    CH 280
    CYA 20

After using the pool calculator, I added 3Q & 3C of bleach and 2Q & 3C of muriatic acid. IF I'm doing this correctly, I need to add 12 lbs(???) of stabilizer and 5lbs 9oz of calcium chloride. My water is slightly cloudy and the water temp is 92. I've purchased what I think I need to add, but am hesitant because I don't want to conduct a chemistry experiment in my backyard! I broadcast 4lbs of stabilizer and read that I should run my pump for 24hrs.

Any help will be appreciated. I"m going to go the BBB route when everything is straightened out. Thanks in advance!!!!
    30,000 gal IG gunite w/plaster finish, Hayward 190 sf cart filter, SmartPure SWG, Hayward SmartMax 1.85 THP dual speed pump, Hayward .75 HP auxiliary pump, Phantom cleaner, TF-100

Re: Need help with how to add stabilizer and calcium chloride

I can't help with CH. But you have a cartrage filter. SLOWLY add about 3/4 of the stabalize to your skimmer. You could also put it to a sock and hang it in front of one of the returns untill totaly desolved. Wait about 5-7 days before youy re test the CYA level. Personaly I prefer the skimmer method. Don't clean the filter for a week or so.
    15x30 AG
    Cartridge Filter
    Solar Heater
    1.0 HP 2 Speed pump
    + 2 KIDS

Stabilizer should be poured slowly into the skimmer with the pump running. Run the pump continuously for the first 48 hours to help it dissolve. It will get caught in your filter and slowly dissolove so don't clean the filter for a week. It's a good idea to clean the filter before adding in just in case. Check the level in a week. If you are SURE of the gallonage of your pool and the current stabilzier level then add thw whole amount you need at once.
    calcium chloride should be dissolved in a big bucket of pool water, a few pounds at a time and then broadcast over the surface of the water. Repeat this until you have added all that you need. If your TA is very high make sure that you only dissolve a pound or two of calcium at a time and add the solution slowly to the pool as you walk the bucket around to prevent clouding the water. When you dissolve it the water will get hot. This is normal (and this is also why calcium chloride is used as an ice melter in winter.)

Thanks guys, or guy and gal. I added the stabilizer through the skimmer (slowly) and mixed the calcium chloride with pool water and broadcast it. I'm sure of my gallonage and feel confident with my readings. I've been playing with the TF-100 for a couple of weeks and have read and read and READ pool school and other forums attempting to educate myself. I know I will get where I need to be and feel better since hearing back from y'all. Told you I'm in southern AL! I hope that I awaken to better looking water and get good CL and pH readings tomorrow. If not, I'll be posting again.
    30,000 gal IG gunite w/plaster finish, Hayward 190 sf cart filter, SmartPure SWG, Hayward SmartMax 1.85 THP dual speed pump, Hayward .75 HP auxiliary pump, Phantom cleaner, TF-100