Pool Pump Pressure Too High!

Removing the eyeball jets doesn't do anything. My waste line empties into my yard behind the pool house. When I said I ran the waste, I change the multi-valve to the waste mode and ran it for 30 seconds to 1 minute. I'm going to try to mess with the pipes this weekend, if I get time. Thanks again

Hi again DrChris,
Looking back and rereading your initial post, it seems that in order to fix this problem we are going to have to start eliminating the objects in the equation.

We will assume from your posts that there is no restriction from the pump to the multiport valve (the evidence there is that your backwash pressure drops to <10 psi). That leaves everything after the multiport valve as a suspect, which are filter, valves, pipe, heater and return eyeballs.

You stated that the lines have been scoped and there are no blockages. From that we can assume that the valves were checked also when they ran the scope through the line. At this point, i will have to make the assumption that all the lines were scoped from the filter to the pool. If they were not, that is something to consider.

So what does that leave left as suspect, the filter, heater and eyeballs.

You have ran extensive back washes that should have flushed any debris out of the filter that should be blocking it. The possibility of something left in the filter after back washing is very slim. You have posted that you ran the pump on recirculate and the pressure stays the same (~30 psi). On recirculate, the water is bypassing the filter completely so that will rule out the filter (if the filter was the problem, the psi would have dropped to <10 psi at that moment).

The eyeballs have been taken out and found to be clear and free of any obstruction, so that rules them out.

I think Mark (Mas985, in post #17) is on to something. By ruling out everything else all we have left is the heater.

On recirculate, the water is bypassing the filter completely so that will rule out the filter (if the filter was the problem, the psi would have dropped to <10 psi at that moment)
Not necessarily. It depends if the backwash valve was moved while the pump is running. The pressure would remain in the tank and the gauge would still read high even though the pump pressure may have dropped substantially. When a filter is put into recirculate, the gauge is bypassed as well but still reads the pressure inside the tank whatever it may be. There could be a broken part inside the filter.

Hi Chris, hope we can help but need a few more details.

Just to be sure, is your pressure guage located on your filter?

Have you looked thru the multiport valve manual and checked that all the plumbing lines are connected to the correct ports on the valve?

Have you run the pump with the multiport valve in each of its positions and determined if water flows where its supposed to in that position? We know it doesn't in the "filter" position but how about the others?

What is the psig with the valve in each position?

The last picture in you first set of photos seems to show a cutout in your pool deck with access to some device in the floor. What is that device, and if it's a valve, what line is it in?

The pressure gauge is on the multiport valve

Yeah, everything is connected correctly

All of the other positions seems to work fine. On the waste and rinse, the pressure runs about 11-13 psi, but in the filter position, still runs about 30-33

The last picture is one of the skimmer basket. Underneath the basket is a pipe that runs back under the floor somewhere, I assume into the pump.

I am still convinced that there is a clog somewhere between the pool and the filter. I am going to have the "experts" come back out and scope my lines again.

When the valve is in "Recirculate" is the pressure in that 11-13 range too ??
I think the OP said recirculate was 30 in an earlier post.

If so, the blockage must be either in the multiport valve at the oulet port returning flow back to the pool or in the line after the valve. It looks like you have threaded unions on the connections to the multiport valve so you could try loosening the return connection a turn or two and see if there is enough pressure there to shoot out some water. Do this safely and stand by the pump switch to turn off the pump very quickly. Best not to play around with pipe connections when the pump is running.

If you find good flow at the multiport valve outlet port then work your way down the line doing the same thing, hopefully you'll at least find one more union, maybe at the heater.

IF ... If it's 11-13 in recirculate then it's likely a filter problem.

The blockage could be in only a section of the multiport but it couldn't be in the outlet port or in the line after the valve or the pressure couldn't be 11-13 in "Recirculate" and so high in "Filter". The only difference in the two settings is send water through the filter and using different path in the multiport.

My thinking is in recirculate you are sucking in through the skimmers to the pump and you're pumping through the multiport back out the returns. If it's at 11-13 in recirculate then it would almost have to be the filter or something stuck inside the multiport valve causing the restriction and the high pressure and poor return flow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Max pressure for that pump is around 45 PSI. But the restriction is downstream from the gauge and part of the valve is included in that. So since the valve is new, that could still be a possibility. I don't think it would be the eyeballs because when you have more than one, they don't add much in the way of head loss.

Are there any check valves after the filter? That is also a likely candidate.

Has anyone eliminated the heater. Does the heater have a by-pass and if by-passed does the pressure come down. if no by-pass take a look at the exchanger tubes, could be calcified or the heaters internal by-pass is not working.

Hayward, given the OP previously stated the lines had been scoped, and assuming they were able to check every section of pipe, I'd put the heater up there as a suspect, right after the new multiport valve.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.