Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High Salt level - dumped water several times

1. Back To Top    #1

High Salt level - dumped water several times

I just received a replacement SWG cell after the old one was indicating a low salt level even though I had plenty of salt in there. Now the new one is of course complaining of a high salt level. I dumped about 5 inches of water several times by redirecting the pool cleaner pump output then refilling the pool. This works temporarily until the the salt level goes into the high level again. Not sure why this is happening. Does the SWG cell read the salt level incorrectly initially? Is my process for dumping water not sufficient? Is there a higher concentration of salt in the lower levels of the pool? Should I be using a submersible pump instead?

I just tested my water with my taylor kit and everything looks okay. Salt is a little on high side (6.8 reading) but not what the SWG is saying it is. Calcium hardness does seem to be high. Could that affect SWG salt reading?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: High Salt level - dumped water several times

5" in a 50" average depth pool is 10%. So you salt level should be going down by 10% each time.
    What are you using to test the salt levels? Is that test showing a reduction?

CH will not affect the salt reading in the SWG.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I am using test strips for salt level. My main concern is why swg cell indicator is initially normal and then gradually increases. Is the cell indicator bad?

4. Back To Top    #4

Long Beach, CA

A lot of SWG's display the salt level as an average over 24 hours, so the initial reading might take a little while to settle down.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process