Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Switching from DE to Cellulose in my Hayward EC50AC--tips appreciated!

1. Back To Top    #1

Switching from DE to Cellulose in my Hayward EC50AC--tips appreciated!

Hello Folks:

Is there anything I should be concerned about while making this switch? I'm tired of my chest hurting (whether it's psychosomatic or not) after adding DE every time I clean. Plus we've got a drought here in SoCal, and we'll be able to reclaim the water now (I'm told) rather than hassle with disposing of the DE when I clean.

It's an 18' 5,000 above-ground pool, and I've been using 2 scoops of DE--how much cellulose should I be adding? The Leslie's guys didn't know. They seemed unfamiliar with this filter, even. Nice guys, though, but given their unfamiliarity, I thought I should get some more well-informed input.

Thank you SO MUCH for your time and guidance!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Switching from DE to Cellulose in my Hayward EC50AC--tips appreciated!

I am not sure how much to recommend. I used a little less than the bag said was recommended based on some things I have read here.

I am not sure how I feel about it. It seems to be clogging up and reducing flow faster than I recall the DE did. Is it because my pool is getting more dirt than last year or do I just not remember? I don't know. Maybe it is more efficient and keeping my water clearer?

Not sure if my pressure is rising faster with the cellulose than the DE due to catching more stuff or if it is just the nature of the product.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I have heard that since it's smaller than DE it's a better filter BUT requires more frequent cleaning.

My pressure is at 20-21 when running. Is this normal?

4. Back To Top    #4

There really is no normal pressure. Every pool is different. Depends on your pump, filter, and plumbing.

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

How much depends on the size of your filter. If you can get a model number off it, it should be no problem to figure out how much to use.

You don't actually reclaim the water. But it's okay on the lawn because the cellulose will break down rather than form a white crust the way DE does. It just doesn't go to waste down the sewer.

I haven't had any problems since I switched a couple years ago.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

I couldn't figure out how to create a signature, so I put all the info into my location. I am dumb.

I think I'm at just under 6 cups of cellulose for my pool. Should I take apart the filter and wash off all the tentacles with a hose as part of the conversion process, just to remove ALL the DE?

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, you should remove all the DE first.

Not a fan of that location now

Just go to the upper right of the forum page. Click the Settings which is under the big Pool School button and then "Edit Signature" on the left.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamM View Post
    I couldn't figure out how to create a signature, so I put all the info into my location
    Go to the top right corner of this page and right under the large Pool School button there is a link called "Settings". Clink on this is on the lower left corner of the page that comes up is a link called " Edit Signature" . Clink on that and be smart again,
    30,000 gal, 20 x 40 ft vinyl, IG, installed 2006
    1 HP WhisperFlo pump, 60 sqft Pentair Quad D.E., Liquidator(8 gallon) with 3/8 upgrade,TigerShark cleaning robot
    TFTestkits TF-100 with SpeedStir,WS
    A proud practitioner of TFP since 2013

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamM View Post
    I couldn't figure out how to create a signature, so I put all the info into my location. I am dumb.

I think I'm at just under 6 cups of cellulose for my pool. Should I take apart the filter and wash off all the tentacles with a hose as part of the conversion process, just to remove ALL the DE?
    Yes, get rid of all the DE. The manual for your filter says 5 lbs of DE which translates to about 18 oz of fiberclear.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

Thank you all SO MUCH for your time and help. I will educate myself in Pool School materials.
    5,000g, AG, Hayward EC50AC, Hayward Power-Flo Matrix

11. Back To Top    #11

OK! I made the switch on Friday, and took the filter apart to get rid of all the DE. Put in 6 scoops of the cellulose, and the next day the pool was as clear as I've ver seen it. Just gorgeous! Unfortunately it had gotten much cloudier and greenish and thick-looking in the days since, despite adding 4-6oz of granulated chlorine every night except Sunday (out of town!)

Is this possibly a product of not enough cellulose? We did have algae on the sides we were wiping off every day, but nothing like this. Strangely, there seems to be less on the sides now daily than there was before the switch.

Really wish I'd paid better attention in High School Chemistry; I'm very intimidated by the science of being a pool owner.

12. Back To Top    #12

Cloudy and green is a chemical issue, not a filter issue. We need a full set of test results from your test kit including CYA
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

13. Back To Top    #13

Then I need to buy a test set. Which of these do you recommend for someone who had to cheat to get through Chemistry, and was smarter back then?

http://tftestkits.net/Test-Kits-c4/

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

TF 100 is the better value. No chemistry knowledge is required, you only need to be able to read and follow directions.

BTW: look at the SpeedStir. It is an option I didn't buy the first time around, but now I can't live without. It makes testing so much easier, quicker, and far more accurate.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

15. Back To Top    #15

Yup, TF-100 and if you are dealing with green water a SLAM is in your future, so go with the XL option (more of the stuff you need for a SLAM).

The two options I love are the speed stir and the sample sizer.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon