Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New house pool - Startup Chems and Levels - please help!

1. Back To Top    #1

New house pool - Startup Chems and Levels - please help!

just had a new pool built. of course, the pool builders recommendations for startup chemicals are in complete contrast to what I read on TFP...

Questions - I know these may seem basic, and I've searched, but for the peace of mind I'd rather ask

Specs - salt water, quartz plaster, 18k gallons - ordering TF test kit today

1. PB said to use chlorine pucks until the pool is ready for the salt water (3 weeks he said) - i read that is a baddd idea for CYA. Can I start using bleach immediately for chlorine and skip the liquid chlorine and pucks?

2. How soon can I balance EVERYTHING in the pool? PB said to only worry about FC and PH for now - seems like that shouldnt be the case. Is there any aspect of pool chem I cannot balance immediately and should wait to do? If so, what and how long?

3. PB said I could use a 50/50 nylon / steel brush after 3 weeks? I read no steel for 1 year with plaster?

these are the questions that stood out - quick help would be great as I'd like to stay on top of all this in the beginning.

thanks all

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New house pool - Startup Chems and Levels - please help!

Welcome to TFP!!!

1. If you have not added any CYA yet, then the pucks can be helpful. Given new plaster which will raise the pH, the acidic pucks will also help keep the pH in check. Just use PoolMath to track how much CYA you are adding with the pucks and take that into account when you add CYA later for the SWG (which is a month away).

2. Sticky, because your warranty is through them, so you may not want to openly defy them.

3. I would stick with nylon for a year.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

ok thanks - ill keep an eye on the CYA. ive heard horror stories from people using the pucks (overrusing) before SWG and blowing their CYA way too high.

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, each 8 oz trichlor puck adds 3ppm of FC and 1.8ppm of CYA. So it can add up over time.

BTW, do not put them in your skimmer unless you are running the pump 24/7. Get a floater

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!